Author Topic: Obesity or Vegan or Not  (Read 2349 times)

Offline Bob-A-Job

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Obesity or Vegan or Not
« on: September 11, 2019, 04:37 AM »
I have personally been stuggling with serveral issues recently, Halal (stunned/non stunned), Pescatarian and recent articles on Veganism (related to climate change).

Whilst I greatly appreciate the consistency of meat (Family Sunday Roast would not be the same), I have to admit that I/we are moving more of our mid week meals to vegatables... Samosa, onion/mushroom bhaji/pakora, salad and raita, Home made Pizza and Pasta (not home made yet) dishes.  Most of which is mainly for cost based reasons.

Q: Whilst meat (except Lamb) seems to be becoming cheaper, have you moved to a more vegatarian diet by choice/unconsciously? Considered doing so?

I look forward to your insights.
BAJ

Offline jalfreziT

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Obesity or Vegan or Not
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 08:48 AM »
"have you moved to a more vegatarian diet by choice/unconsciously?"

No.

I've done my bit in different ways:

- Chosen not to have children, so less drain on limited world resources.
- 85% of my heating is from managed forests, so carbon neutral. House is also very well insulated.
- We have chosen not to fly anywhere on holiday for many years.

I will continue to eat meat.  :)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 10:57 AM »
Q: Whilst meat (except lamb) seems to be becoming cheaper, have you moved to a more vegetarian diet by choice/unconsciously? Considered doing so?

No.  Ethically I empathise with the vegetarian/vegan position, but in practical terms meat is so central to my enjoyment of meals that I cannot imagine life without it.  Yesterday's lunch, for example, was  seared scallops followed by roast breast of duck in a bitter orange sauce; supper the evening before had been pork and prawn dim-sum.  I did try a vegetarian (macrobiotic) diet when I was young and staying with a non-Jewish vegetarian girl in the Jewish Vegetarian Centre in Golders Green , but after just two weeks someone only had to say "steak" or "Bovril" to me and saliva would pour uncontrollably from my mouth.  Nonetheless, I do encourage my wife to try to offer ever more vegan dishes on her restaurant menu in the hotel that she owns and runs, but I am a carnivore through and through (though I will not eat veal, and a few other things, on principle).

** Phil.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 11:09 AM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline JonG

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 12:18 PM »
BAJ

I suppose your question is more general than just curry, but I must say I rarely add meat to curries any more. Mixed veg from a freezer bag and particularly potatoes when precooked using the method JB posted, make for such a nice curry that to waste money on chicken or lamb just seems unnecessary.  Dhal on the side, Chana masala. The subcontinent has so many veggie food options and the experts in this cuisine have long shown the enlightened way to prepare and eat Indian food, without meat.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 12:28 PM »
The subcontinent has so many veggie food options and the experts in this cuisine have long shown the enlightened way to prepare and eat Indian food, without meat.

I would echo that whole-heartedly.  I have long thought that the sub-continent is the only place in the world where I could happily live as a vegetarian (masala dosa is a particular favourite of mine) and even when I eat my wife's Vietnamese beef curry (her uncle's recipe), it is the gravy and the potatoes that are the best part for me

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 10:59 PM »
Probably up to 70% of my BIR preparations are vegetarian/vegan.
An all meat curry is rare in my kitchen.
I consume more chicken, than any other meat.
If you can

Offline Bob-A-Job

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 11:36 PM »
Thanks for the responses everybody.

To answer your question CT, I was diagnosed with severe Hypertension (high blood pressure) over a decade ago and told to make changes to my diet that excluded as much salt and processed meat as possible.  A bacon sandwich that was once a 3 times a week breakfast in the work restaurant became a once only treat after several weeks, if I waivered.  Whilst that is now under control but as a consequence of the diet change, I am now twice the man I used to be (you will have maybe read how I try to stay away from oil and such).

After another assessment recently, I have now been given a 'diet sheet' which is basically a list of only the foods I can have.  I am sure you won't be surprised to hear that there is virtually no meat on it and even that is in such small amounts and prepared in the healthiest possible way, including having to buy some new kitchen gadgets and learning how to cook differently.

So whilst I didn't explicitly explain the link as there is a lot of media attention on obesity being linked to over indulgence in takeaway foods, I hope you can now see the reason for my post?

Thanks
BAJ.

Offline jalfreziT

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2019, 07:39 AM »
told to make changes to my diet that excluded as much salt and processed meat as possible. 

I think that's a great move. :)

If someone is on a tight food budget, the first stuff to get rid of is processed/prepared food. It's sooo expensive for what you get. e.g.  Cod fish fingers cost somewhere

©2024 Curry Recipes