Author Topic: a pom down under  (Read 7605 times)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: a pom down under
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2019, 08:49 AM »
Thank you for your explanation. I now see what you mean.  This is an often repeated story from Brit expats and visitors and I just didn't understand it as I really like the shop curry out here.  I haven't been to the UK and I don't cook the hot curries from the recipe section.  I can vouch for the fact that hot Aussie isn't hot by any standard.  For the most part we anglo-saxon Aussies (now a minority ethnic group) do not eat hot chilli and I am one who does not enjoy blisteringly hot food.  I just don't get it and I find it to be the destruction of a good meal.  Too much chilli makes it inedible to many, me included,  For some people a sprinkle of black pepper is too hot.  A mate of mine used to order fresh chillis on his pizza with extra chiili powder, chilli sauce and cayenne on top.  He would drip perspiration from his head as he tried to tell us he enjoyed it.  I reckon it was just so he didn't have to share.

Offline deerstalker36

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2019, 09:49 AM »
you'd be suprised what you can get used to Livo. it's a bit like an alcoholic not getting drunk on a slab.

When i was in the Navy in th UK, our go to curry was a Phall. we could taste the difference between different shop's Phalls even if they were blisteringly hot. It was also a fun challenge lol. Over in WA we used to call into the local brewery after going diving. they did Chilli burgers with a rating of 1 (very very very mild) to 10 (arse ripping hot).

my tassy mate would go 4 at his hottest and i'd have the 10 and still enjoy it.

hence the craving for "a more varied taste"here in Oz. There are some very good ones, just very few and far between and you have to look hard to find them

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2019, 12:49 PM »
Tried a Phaal once in Oxford - couldn't manage more than 2 mouthfuls - waaaay too hot.

If you are looking for 'different' asian cuisine - Nepalese is usually pretty good in the 'indian' restaurant stakes - Southern Indian Kerala food is also good.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2019, 01:19 PM »
If you are looking for 'different' asian cuisine - Nepalese is usually pretty good in the 'indian' restaurant stakes - Southern Indian Kerala food is also good.

I would agree with both of those assertions.  As regards Bangalore phal, it used to be my dish of choice (always requiring considerable added salt to bring out the non-chilli flavours) but one day it and my digestive tract had a major disagreement, after which I took up bhuna for several months before slowly climbing my way back to Madras.  These days I can manage a vindaloo, but to enjoy a phal I need an equal-size portion of Greek yoghurt, to be eaten in alternating mouthsful.

** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes