Author Topic: How many ml per portion of base do you freeze?  (Read 12110 times)

Offline leeroydan

• Chef
    • View Profile
How many ml per portion of base do you freeze?
« on: September 19, 2019, 08:39 AM »
As per title, how many ml per portion of base do you freeze?

I'm finding I follow the recipes but don't have as many containers as some of the authors do once the base is complete, think I may be storing too much base per container.

As a general rule, how many ml of base do you freeze per portion?

Cheers.

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: How many ml per portion of base do you freeze?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 09:20 AM »
Hi Leeroydan, Personally i use 1 ltr square tubs, as most of my cooking is for a few people, i tend to freeze the base thick so it doubles up when cooking, that way i save on freezer space, others have said they store 300ml and 600ml pots pretty much each to their own, def store to water down tho, hope that helps

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2019, 10:25 AM »
I never freeze base.  I normally treat it as a classic stock, to be gently re-heated once a day if kept on the hob, otherwise kept in the 'fridge in T/A containers (500 or 650ml) until needed.

** Phil.

Offline Bob-A-Job

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 11:30 AM »
Hi Leeroydan,

I guess it depends which base you make and how long you let it simmer for.  If I am making Taz's, JB's or CA's base, I can get as many as 6 or 7 containers from a single pan (sometimes this is not quite enough when I come to make a serves-2 Jalfrezi or is a little too much if I make a serves-2 Chicken Tikka Masala or Madras).  Four days ago I made a Balti base with more water than in the recipe so I don't burn out my blender.  After letting it cool overnight, I blended it several times the following day and yesterday I simmered on a low heat for about 3 hours to reduce it back down.  When I got home late last night and could still smell it, I couldn't resist making a quick chicken balti.  Today I intend to make some more chicken and some meat Balti dishes and any left over base will be frozen in about the same quantity as I save for other bases.  I only expect to have a couple of portions left for the freezer.

I guess the answer is really, "save as much or as little as you intend to cook with".  I always tend to make curries in portions of 2/3 servings at a time but if you are only intending to make enough for 1, then portion it out so it is just enough base for each and as Mickyp says, make sure you have enough freezer space.

I hope that helps.
BAJ

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 12:42 PM »
About 300ml per portion for me. Individual tubs.

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2019, 01:06 PM »
Usually I use Satco containers, 1000ml and 500ml, a good mix of sizes which fits the freezer drawer perfectly.
http://www.satcoplastics.com/plastic-containers.html
Most freezer drawers are rectangular, square and round containers waste freezer space!

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2019, 01:32 PM »
I cook a fairly concentrated base because I use an electric pressure cooker and avoid adding as much water as you might find in a normal

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2019, 01:45 PM »
leeroydan, each base has it's own mL per person because some are denser than others (i.e. less water). So what you really need to know is how many people a pot of base recipe serves and then divide it equally according to that not according to volume. I use old pot noodle pots to freeze my base which I then pop out and wrap individually in cheap plastic bags.

Offline jalfreziT

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2019, 07:32 PM »
About 350ml per box. I usually add more water to the tomato pur

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2019, 06:54 AM »
I make half-quantities (i.e. using 1.5kg onions) of JB's Takeaway Base at a time which yields approximately 2.7 litres or 12 x 225g portions of cooked gravy and freeze individual portions in small ZipLoc freezer bags. Handy if you don't have a lot of space in your freezer.

When it's curry time, I take a bag from the freezer, defrost it and empty it into a pot. The I add 225g of water to the bag, give it a shake, and empty the contents into the pot too. This gives 450g of gravy which is sufficient to cook a curry for 2 persons.

Hope that's helpful.

©2024 Curry Recipes