Author Topic: Chicken bite things  (Read 2018 times)

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Chicken bite things
« on: September 26, 2019, 10:13 AM »
That video of Boaby's, the chow mein, chicken bits from Mozzas and then the curry reminded me of a time where I used a small box of KFC popcorn chicken to a chow mein and, actually, it was ****** brilliant. A really original 'new' taste to it, a twist if you will.

The question is, though: how well does that kind of thing--KFC in general, their boneless chicken particularly--freeze?  It would be handy to have a small stock ready to chuck into a dish at short notice.

Never tried it in a curry: was slightly put off by the (strong?) possibility of the sauce making the breadcrumb coating disappear leaving just small moody chicken pieces! :D

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken bite things
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 06:08 AM »
I think I'm right in saying that both Lidl and Aldi sell frozen popcorn chicken which would probably fit your bill. Cheaper than KFC too!

Offline jalfreziT

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 09:19 AM »
The question is, though: how well does that kind of thing--KFC in general, their boneless chicken particularly--freeze?  It would be handy to have a small stock ready to chuck into a dish at short notice.

Once upon a time I worked for a company that made the popcorn chicken for KFC (the process was a bit more special that the other breading/battering operations). Straight after processing, it freezes very well. But once it has been defrosted and reheated in a KFC outlet, subsequent freezing would cause a reduction in eating quality. Best to go for Naga's solution, or just make some yourself at home (that would be my choice as you get more control over the ingredients).

Offline JonG

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2019, 07:45 AM »
What was the process, @jalfreziT?

Offline jalfreziT

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2019, 12:05 PM »
I didn