Author Topic: Latest attempt  (Read 4601 times)

Offline terry

• Chef
    • View Profile
Latest attempt
« on: January 17, 2007, 02:35 PM »
q
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 02:44 PM by terry »

Offline terry

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Latest attempt
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 02:59 PM »
better pic?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 02:44 PM by terry »

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 03:23 PM »
Nice one Terry.  Now, see your ladle?  If keep it at that angle and you move it around in a circular motion pressing the mix into the wok sides (heat on full) and then scrape off you will get an idea of what we are saying about the use of the ladle or spoon back to fuse the spices..  If you live in Oz it is Anti-clockwise motion, if you are in Europe it is clockwise motion. ;D

Offline Yellow Fingers

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 04:21 PM »
If you live in Oz it is Anti-clockwise motion, if you are in Europe it is clockwise motion. ;D

Grrrr...I know you're only joking but I hate that myth.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 04:45 PM »
So are you saying that the coriolis effect is a myth then YF?  :P  Even for massive objects?  (much bigger than your common chef's ladle or wok full of curry sauce of course....or your kitchen sink or toilet bowl!)  ;)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007, 05:02 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline Yellow Fingers

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 05:08 PM »
The coriolis effect isn't a myth. But I'll tell you what, if you can demonstrate it in any everyday situation - sink hole, toilet flush, etc. - I'll not only eat my hat, but I'll eat yours too, liberally doused in naga morrich puree.

YF

BTW, I can already see we're getting dirty looks from the Luddites in here, so I'm not going to say any more  :-X

Offline terry

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 05:11 PM »
exactly what i did C.P,turning clockwise,i read on this forum somewhere about pressing and stirring at the same time on high heat.

Offline Yellow Fingers

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 05:33 PM »
If keep it at that angle and you move it around in a circular motion pressing the mix into the wok sides (heat on full) and then scrape off...

Ahh, now I see what you mean, and I'm afraid what you've been saying - as I suspected - is misleading, which is why I needed to see it demonstrated.

What you're actually doing with this technique is removing the "fused" base from the sides by the motion of the spoon. You're not actually pressing the fused base into the sides as you describe, in fact just the opposite. You're removing the already fused base away from the pan by 'pressing' it while moving the spoon. This allows unfused base to take its place an hence continue to fuse.

Now the light dawns and unfortunately it's a technique I've been using for years. I'm disappointed about that as I though this might be the missing link.

I hope you understand now why we need pics for this kind of technique, or at the very least, an extremely well thought out description.

YF

Offline King Prawn

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 06:20 PM »
...or better still a video!  ;D

KP(V)

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 09:17 AM »
Hi YF, I have come to the conclusion you have a scientific or analytical background and now see/understand why precision is important to you.  You could be a Cop or forensic scientist :-\  ;D. 

Yes it is difficult to describe this technique, but I would just add that it is to press the mix against the pan sides or base and then scrape it off.  But you already do that, so sorry this isn't the 'secret'. 

I am about to make up some more stuff in the next few days for orders which require stir frying techniques, so what I will try and do is get my wife or son to make a short video of the technique.  I won't be using UCB but it shouldn't matter.  It is a digital still camera with movie mode so the quality probably won't be that good.

CP

©2024 Curry Recipes