Author Topic: Dhansak spicing  (Read 3552 times)

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Dhansak spicing
« on: October 01, 2019, 11:04 AM »
I

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Dhansak spicing
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 03:19 PM »
Are you allowed to attempt BIR cooking again?
The BIR shops, are these in the UK or Sweden?

BIR Dhansak is a Sweet and Sour Lentil Curry, as simple as.
In my recipes, I favour MANGAL Dhansak Masala Powder and Tamarind
as an enhancement to a restaurant basic dish, - Sugar, Lemon, Worcestershire and Pineapple.

cheers Chewy, The Dhansak expert ;D ;D

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 07:28 AM »
Thanks Chewy. Total curry exclusion order has been lifted but replaced with a quota system, so I need to cook my curries wisely as I
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 07:40 AM by Sverige »

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 09:32 PM »
My preference is for the simplicity of the classic lemon juice and white sugar combination. But dhansak has many variations based on the wide mix of sweet and sour flavourings available. In particular, you might try jaggery or if you can't get that then palm sugar. They both have a sort of toffyish flavour which may be what you're missing. But, as said, there are so many possible variations on the sweet/sour theme it could be any number of other ingredients.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 08:49 AM »
I would be minded to try one of the traditional dhansak masalas that one can find on the web, perhaps the one at https://www.archanaskitchen.com/home-made-dhansak-masala-recipe

** Phil.

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2019, 03:50 PM »

Offline romain

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2019, 04:03 PM »
I really like tamarind sauce in my dhansaks. Like Maggi Tamarina. Just the right sweet/tart combination. No extra lemon or sugar required (to my palate).

Offline phillskie

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2019, 04:40 AM »
Hi
My friend gave me a recipe that's spot on, he got it whilst in the kitchen at his local. The usual basic curry ingredients, lentil dahl, mix powder & Achar Gosht pickling spice mix ,mango chutney, lemon and a dash of soy sauce, yes soy and trust me it works.  :umy:

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2019, 10:48 AM »
I really like tamarind sauce in my dhansaks. Like Maggi Tamarina. Just the right sweet/tart combination. No extra lemon or sugar required (to my palate).

It should be called 'sugar sauce' because water and sugar are the main ingredients. It contains only 15% tamarind paste.

Offline romain

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2019, 09:00 PM »

It should be called 'sugar sauce' because water and sugar are the main ingredients. It contains only 15% tamarind paste.

Haha. Yes. Very true. But in certain cases it does work well. I keep a jar of tamarind concentrate as well for when I need that. On occasion I make it myself from a block but I have yet to find a way that isn't torture to make.

©2024 Curry Recipes