Author Topic: beautiful chicken curry  (Read 6405 times)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: beautiful chicken curry
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2019, 04:20 PM »
Ah, "a proper bhuna" flavour.  THOSE were the days ...

You just don't get it nowadays do you Phil? It was what made it my favourite curry. Now, any old curry cooked 'til it's thick passes for bhuna. Well, it passes right by me 'cos I ain't fooled!

I miss the old days.  :'(

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2019, 04:23 PM »
Blimey, that's a pretty substantial change madpower! You're only left with turmeric, methi and garam masala as the main spicing. Nowt wrong with that I suppose but, yeah, pretty big change.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2019, 04:41 PM »
That's a bit unfair, Santa

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2019, 04:44 PM »
You just don't get it [bhuna] nowadays do you Phil? It was what made it my favourite curry. Now, any old curry cooked 'til it's thick passes for bhuna. Well, it passes right by me 'cos I ain't fooled!

And you don't get chicken chat, either (at least, not as I knew and loved it

Offline madpower

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2019, 01:43 AM »
That will be it phill,i was confident enough to take some for my brother who always gives me his honest opinion,he said its delicious and wants the recipe and he is hard to please.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
 yea guys i remember a proper old style bhuna,i had a good conversation with a chef who was getting on a bit and he said they use a lot more ingredients than they used too,they didnt use gg paste or tomato sauce,i asked about the base and he said it was basically a completed curry and they would just add extra spices to whatever dishes you were ordering,if i ordered a bhuna,rogan josh and jalfrezi from my local they would all look and taste the same apart from a few chillies

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2019, 10:02 PM »
Ah, "a proper bhuna" flavour.  THOSE were the days ...

You just don't get it nowadays do you Phil? It was what made it my favourite curry. Now, any old curry cooked 'til it's thick passes for bhuna. Well, it passes right by me 'cos I ain't fooled!

I miss the old days.  :'(

The owner /chef of a restaurant I used to buy t/a 's from told me a bir bhuna sauce gets its flavour from  extra ginger/garlic & tomato puree, in comparison to other dishes, less gravy & reduced, always has been?
He's well into his sixties & been at it all his working life
Point taken about variations & chaat, as with any boom, the cowboys inevitably move in
ELW

©2024 Curry Recipes