Author Topic: Sadly, another one to avoid  (Read 802 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
  • Global Moderator
  • Blessèd are those with an open mind ...
    • View Profile
    • The Westberry Hotel / Hôi~An Restaurant
Sadly, another one to avoid
« on: October 05, 2019, 11:19 AM »
I had been wanting to try the Indian restaurant in P****s for some time, but when our head chef informed me that it was closing down I felt it was time to make the journey.  First impressions were excellent — the restaurant is fully glazed on the outer walls, and the view was exceptional.  The greeting was extremely friendly, my order taken promptly, and each serving dish arrived on a pristine white doily to separate it from its salver.  The popadom were freshly cooked and beautifully crisp, and the sheek kebab part of my mixed-kebab started was excellent.  After that, everything (apart from the service) started to go downhill (or belly-up).  The "lamb" tikka was too firm to chew, so I cut it into thin strips; on eating these, it was immediately obvious that I was eating beef, not lamb.  The chicken tikka was just weird — no other word will suffice.  Zero flavour, very odd firm fibrous texture.  And the onion bhaji was rock hard.  Then my main course arrived "House special murge masale" (i.e., murgh masala, mispelled).  I should have known better than to order a house special.  The "tender pieces of chicken" were, of course, chicken tikka (why did I fail to assume this in advance ?), and the chicken tikka was identical to the travesty thereof that had formed a part of my starter.  I took one bite and spat it out.  The egg tasted and felt as if it had been boiled a month ago.  And the minced lamb was minced meat, of unidentifiable origin.  When the very pleasant young waitress came to ask if everything was OK, I told her about the chicken, and asked her to take a piece to the chef for his opinion.  This she willingly did, and came back with the report that it was indeed fresh chicken.  I later heard the chef say to her (in an English accent — I did not actually see anyone from the sub-continent in the restaurant) that "it was the same chicken that he had in his starter", and when she repeated this to me, I confirmed that it was undoubtedly true, but as there had been only two pieces of chicken in the starter I had not bothered to mention how weird they were at the time.  Oh, and the pulao rice, while beautifully coloured, had no flavour at all.  I ended up taking the murgh masala and rice back to the hotel kitchen for a number of second opinions.  One of our chefs just spat it out.  Others said it might be turkey, might be processed, might be re-constituted, but whatever it was, it certainly wasn't fresh chicken.  Sigh.  Yet another place I shall never visit again.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 10:25 AM by Peripatetic Phil »
Ogham's law :  The probable value of a message varies inversely as the number of emoticons it contains ...

Online mickyp

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Sadly, another one to avoid
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2019, 02:10 PM »
Now we all know why it was closing down, hate it when you get an awful meal, such a waste of time and money.

Offline Bob-A-Job

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2019, 06:44 PM »
Thank you for the report Phil.

Every Cloud.... at least it didn't make you ill!

BAJ.
If you can learn something new and have a laugh, the day has not been wasted.

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2019, 08:36 PM »
where was this?
looks like the name has been censored

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2019, 08:43 PM »
"A village in Cornwall, between St Austell and Truro". I redacted the exact location out of respect for the front of house staff, who were exemplary even if the food was not.
Ogham's law :  The probable value of a message varies inversely as the number of emoticons it contains ...

Offline jalfreziT

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 08:50 AM »
Was this Tandoori Spice?

Redacting the location might  be respectful to staff but is arguably a disservice to those for whom your review could potentially save from a rubbish evening out?

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2019, 12:05 PM »
Was this Tandoori Spice?

"You might think that — I couldn't possibly comment".

Redacting the location might  be respectful to staff but is arguably a disservice to those for whom your review could potentially save from a rubbish evening out?

I agree.

** Phil.

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2019, 03:12 PM »
This may well be the very same - https://www.thegazette.co.uk/notice/3090248
nil carborundum illegitimi

© 2019 Curry Recipes