Author Topic: The BIR secret....  (Read 25786 times)

Offline jalfreziT

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: The BIR secret....
« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2019, 05:12 AM »
I do not deny for one second that with this county's present hostile immigration policies, it is getting ever harder to find good BIR chefs and standards are falling nationwide.

It's a tricky one Phil.

When you're a member of the EU, the immigration policy pushes you towards recruiting from within the EU (and is supported as that with free movement of labour, no need for work permits, etc.).

If you're not in the EU, it means you (Britain) can decide it's own immigration policy, and take whoever you want, EU or non-EU.

But....if you're not in the EU, you (Britain) don't get such easy access to the large pool of cheap labour, on which many UK businesses have built themselves.

There are no easy answers.

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2019, 03:28 PM »
Back on Topic
Mix Powder, that old chestnut.  :lol: Methi powder in a BIR Mix powder, just does not happen.
There are loads of secrets in BIR cooking not published anywhere, quite delusional for members to think otherwise.

Offline romain

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2019, 02:13 AM »
I'm curious. What is an example of a secret? Surely one or two have been uncovered? I'm sure there are tricks that everyone haven't figured out but I can cook better than curry I've been served in fairly well reviewed restaurants in London (not saying Dishoom here - but 4 stars on google). What do they have that I don't?

Offline jalfreziT

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2019, 05:45 AM »
/Pulls up a chair and sits on the edge of it.

I'm also ready and waiting to hear what unpublished secrets CT will share.

I've always (privately) thought it delusional to think that there is some "missing secret". Willing to be proved wrong though  :)

Online bhamcurry

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2019, 04:46 PM »

I've always (privately) thought it delusional to think that there is some "missing secret". Willing to be proved wrong though  :)

who would have thought my silly, tongue in cheek post would produce such a fascinating conversation!

Having spent a lot of time hanging around the restaurant business, the truth is there is *no* secret technique or spice mix. The results from restaurant cooking are due to professionals using their experience and training, along with muscle memory, to knock out these dishes we all love. If you spend 10 hours a day doing the same thing, you quickly develop a very economical technique... one could almost say "slapdash" technique.... for producing food to the same high standard every time.

That, plus a lot more salt than most people think. Seriously. Add more salt  :Clown:

Offline jalfreziT

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2019, 05:41 PM »

who would have thought my silly, tongue in cheek post would produce such a fascinating conversation!

Having spent a lot of time hanging around the restaurant business, the truth is there is *no* secret technique or spice mix.

Oh my.  :smile: The casual newcomer will be confused. Three have stepped up with their opinion that there is no secret to BIR. One has stated that

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2019, 07:43 PM »
 :like:

Offline romain

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2019, 07:58 PM »
Bhamcurry. I got through university working in restaurants so I've seen some as well albeit a long time ago. Muscle memory is exactly right. Prep cooks measure. Line cooks do not.

And agreed. A lot more salt. Not just in curries. Just about every restaurant meal you eat.

Online bhamcurry

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2019, 02:18 AM »
Bhamcurry. I got through university working in restaurants so I've seen some as well albeit a long time ago. Muscle memory is exactly right. Prep cooks measure. Line cooks do not.

And agreed. A lot more salt. Not just in curries. Just about every restaurant meal you eat.

it's a thing I noticed a while ago - when you watch a video about how to make a restaurant dish, they always seem to drastically mis-state the amount of salt. "Add a teaspoon of salt (adds what looks like a tablespoon)"....

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2019, 08:31 AM »
Here am I still waiting for some of "those secrets" to be unleashed,

©2024 Curry Recipes