Author Topic: The BIR secret....  (Read 25494 times)

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: The BIR secret....
« Reply #70 on: December 04, 2019, 06:31 AM »
There are loads of secrets in BIR cooking not published anywhere, quite delusional for members to think otherwise.

Still waiting too, but not holding my breath  :lol:

Indeed. Owned, I think :D

Offline noble ox

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2019, 09:12 AM »
I'm still waiting hopefully. I've been working hard to get a decent biryani in restaurant like times. Think I'm close but a few secrets would be welcome.

Romaine. Have you tried KEWRA water a glug towards the end will launch to the next level no matter which recipe used
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 11:17 AM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline romain

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 06, 2019, 04:11 AM »
Noble ox - I did try it and rose water once but found them both too floral for my tastes. I will try kewra water again though on your recommendation.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 06, 2019, 11:00 AM »
I'm also ready and waiting to hear what unpublished secrets CT will share.

I don't believe CT knows any more than the rest of us. Either that, or he leaves key 'secrets' out of his recipes. At least the 'undercover curry' guy (Dave Loyden) told us how he claimed to know quite a lot and maybe Dave's story should be taken with a pinch of salt, too. Certain people here claim to be 'experts' without any insight into how they learned so much.

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 07, 2019, 04:49 PM »
I never thought I'd say this, but

You're absolutely right, George  :cool:

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 07, 2019, 06:33 PM »
two things I noticed recently which really assisted the BIR cooking at home  flavour. One was using that Basaar spice mix. It's got a strong aroma before cooking. But cooked it really takes over. So even though I've seen spice mix made up in takeaways, and nothing unusual was ever in the mixture, it clearly can play a very big part in a curry's result. I notice that the YouTube posts by Latif are very secretive about his spice mix. Really can't think what it might be though. Probably something silly like tandoori spice mix is added, which we already know about, don't we? The other thing that really affected my curry was the amount of oil used. I suppose I've always been a little conservative in the amount of oil I use in the cooking. But last time I used a lot. This didn't just make the curry greasier, it also had an effect on how it cooked. With more oil the curry gets a LOT hotter while you are cooking it. The resulting curry was really good on flavour and aroma. Easily one of the best I have ever cooked. But going right back to the start of this thread. I cooked an absolutely amazing curry using Kris Dhillons Curry Secret. It was a mushroom and pea curry. I used her gravy but it was very diluted. I had to evaporate  it on a very high heat for about ten minutes after it should have been ready. The trouble is with this curry cooking obsession is that there just isn't enough time for all the amazing recipes that are out there!!

Offline romain

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 10, 2019, 11:53 PM »
Again, not suggesting I am an expert by any stretch of the imagination...

I got this comment on my blog today. It suggests to me that applying solid cooking technique to the base restaurant concept is at least a significant part of it. This is from someone completely unknown to me. Their email address and reference to Nazir's (not available in North America) make me think UK resident.

"Patak

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 11, 2019, 09:51 AM »
Looks sadly as if Nazir's curry pastes are no longer made ...
** Phil.

Offline pap rika

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 11, 2019, 11:23 AM »
https://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acatalog/Nazirs-Curry.html
Might be worth watching in case they're restocked

Regards pap rika

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 11, 2019, 01:32 PM »
Three of the six previously stocked Nazir's pastes say "Discontinued by manufacturer. You may like Minara or Rajah brands... :

©2024 Curry Recipes