Author Topic: Supermarket curries v. BIRs  (Read 9281 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Supermarket curries v. BIRs
« on: November 02, 2019, 08:58 PM »
Last night I visited another as-yet-untried BIR in Cornwall, and once again it was something of a disappointment.  There were only two diners when I entered, but when I asked the owner whether he had a table for one he looked uncertain and had to ask the waiter who assured him that there was indeed one available.  I order one plain and one masala popadom, a mixed kebab starter with a chapati, and a chicken Madras with a stuffed paratha, all washed down (over the course of the meal) with three large Cokes.  The popadom were fine, as were the accompanying pickles, but when the mixed kebab starter arrived I had a sense of d
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 08:58 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Supermarket curries v. BIRs
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 12:49 PM »
I remember some years ago Tesco started to sell Naan bread, that to me looked like the real deal, it was labelled on the back "Abdul's Southall, they were great, sprinkle with water and microwave for 1 minute and then foil up.
They would always sell quickly, after about a year, no Abdul any more, now Tesco, not quite as good but ok.

So now im sure now what we get from supermarkets is the results of spies watching the BIR's being made and thinking how can we get machines to turn these out.

They are certainly giving it a go.

Offline jalfreziT

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2019, 04:06 AM »
I remember some years ago Tesco started to sell Naan bread, that to me looked like the real deal, it was labelled on the back "Abdul's Southall, they were great, sprinkle with water and microwave for 1 minute and then foil up.
They would always sell quickly, after about a year, no Abdul any more, now Tesco, not quite as good but ok.

So now im sure now what we get from supermarkets is the results of spies watching the BIR's being made and thinking how can we get machines to turn these out.

The Adbul

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2019, 10:17 AM »
Without digressing from the thread subject about 8-9 years ago at work we had a back door into the staff shop at a factory in London that supplied sausages and chicken to supermarkets, due to cancelled orders from the supermarkets, amongst other stuff we could buy packs of labelled finest sausages for 50p a pack of 8, and 5kg of chicken breasts for

Offline jalfreziT

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2019, 01:36 PM »
Without digressing from the thread subject about 8-9 years ago at work we had a back door into the staff shop at a factory in London that supplied sausages and chicken to supermarkets, due to cancelled orders from the supermarkets, amongst other stuff we could buy packs of labelled finest sausages for 50p a pack of 8, and 5kg of chicken breasts for

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2019, 03:19 PM »
I think your probably spot on there with those reasons, the factory was south London, I remember seeing the staff there with their white wellies on buying stuff in the shop too.

Also picking up on the original subject the Asian isles in Tesco are catching up with various ingredients for curries but i still prefer my Local Asian store,

Offline jalfreziT

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2019, 04:01 PM »
Also picking up on the original subject the Asian isles in Tesco are catching up with various ingredients for curries but i still prefer my Local Asian store,

The

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2019, 05:01 PM »
I've found that over the past few years, Tesco's range has been getting smaller and smaller. Not just 'Asian' stuff, but general.

Thinking of changing my supermarket.

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2019, 05:18 PM »
Yes they have got smaller, i think they used to be 450g originally, and I still get wound up when I see the sauce only covers half the chicken like its been squirted on followed by the film top, if just to remind you its a production line.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2019, 07:20 PM »
I meant the range of products they stock as opposed to the size of each product  :lol:

©2024 Curry Recipes