Author Topic: Supermarket curries v. BIRs  (Read 9283 times)

Offline nadal

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Supermarket curries v. BIRs
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2019, 10:10 PM »
Yes, Do support your Local Asian store, least the supermarkets squeeze them out altogether. If the local store hasn't got what your looking for, talk to them and they will probably get it for you. Supermarkets won't. Also the tiny little spice bottles are astronomical compared with packets from your local shop.
It's very true Supermarket curry's are getting better, I have tried a few but much better to make larger quantities yourself than you need and freeze. Gave up on supermarket Nan, I'd rather toast some Tiger bread with good old butter. Rice buy in at least 10 kilo bags, it keeps and improves with age.
As for getting started or new ideas checkout Latif's Inspired https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKlET6nkHSKNWef97D_UBkQ I hope more BIR chefs are inspired to post their recipes, methods and tips too.

As for post starting this thread. I agree many BIR's these days are just going through the motions and many are just churning out very unexciting meals. I think the turning point came when many seemed to give up their enthusiasm and turned finding the easy solutions, buying in premade bulk base etc. making many of them all taste the same, dull, lifeless and boring. It's a nightmare when I get a main course that I'd bin if I'd made it myself but sadly I've been served a few on my travels. It's refreshing when you find BIR'S striving to provide the very best in flavour and excitment in their dishes, chefs who are proud of what they produce and always striving to impress.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2019, 07:55 AM »
Hallo Nadal, thank you for your comments, and welcome aboard.  I notice that you included the same off-site link in both your reply in this thread and in another thread that you started

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2019, 06:20 PM »
As for getting started or new ideas checkout Latif's Inspired..

It's going off topic but I can't let that one pass. New ideas ... seriously?  His curries are bog-standard fare you can get anywhere, not least of all from this forum. It's great that he's adding to the Youtube curry-fest that now exists but if only he'd done it ten years ago it would have been novel and possibly even new. But now, not so much.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2019, 06:29 PM »
 :like:

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2019, 10:10 PM »
As for getting started or new ideas checkout Latif's Inspired..

It's going off topic but I can't let that one pass. New ideas ... seriously?  His curries are bog-standard fare you can get anywhere, not least of all from this forum. It's great that he's adding to the Youtube curry-fest that now exists but if only he'd done it ten years ago it would have been novel and possibly even new. But now, not so much.

I agree with your comments,

Its strange, comments from family and friends enlighten me as to how far i have come when it comes to creating and cooking a curry, yet reading through this site reminds me how little i know, we are all on a journey, This forum and youtube serve as a springboard for many.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2019, 12:01 PM »
Very interesting to compare the lists of ingredients for Morrison's top five curries :

Flaming fiery phal :  Chicken Breast (37%), Water, Onion, Tomato Paste, Green Chilli Pur
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 12:13 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2019, 01:10 PM »
Once made the mistake of buying a Mr Daves curry from Makro.  It was worse than a school dinner gravy - pathetic.  Bad enough for me to write to Makro to question the capabilities of their tasting panel.  Never replied.

Offline jalfreziT

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2019, 05:07 PM »
Once made the mistake of buying a Mr Daves curry from Makro.  It was worse than a school dinner gravy - pathetic.  Bad enough for me to write to Makro to question the capabilities of their tasting panel.  Never replied.

No surprise that they didn't. They're operating at the bottom end of the market. Prices are low and won't leave much margin for anything resembling "customer service". Good to report, so others don't make the same mistake.

Online tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2019, 03:08 AM »
Yes they have got smaller, i think they used to be 450g originally, and I still get wound up when I see the sauce only covers half the chicken like its been squirted on followed by the film top, if just to remind you its a production line.
we choose where to shop on the basis of what we are cooking. The Tesco Extra at Maldon was our first choice but the range and quality has diminished so much, and now the deli and fresh meat counter is no longer open between Thursday and Sunday we go to Sainsbury

Offline jalfreziT

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2019, 03:23 AM »
Not sure how that alleviates MickyP

©2024 Curry Recipes