Author Topic: My best ever curry recipe  (Read 2070 times)

Offline madpower

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
My best ever curry recipe
« on: November 23, 2019, 03:11 AM »
I have been cooking curries once a week for my sisters mates for the last few weeks ,after they had some that i had made at my sisters house, they wanted their families to try it so ive been kept busy in the kitchen cooking for families ,the reports i get back are amazing,things like its better than any of the restaurants around here and they will be ordering again,i was not going to post a recipe again because lets face it nobody cooks them unless you are a established chef,but its too good not too.     

The recipe serves 4
In a saucepan before putting the pan on the heat add enough veg oil to wet the bottom,add 1 tbls of finely diced red onion ,spread the following whole spices  over the onions,5 cracked green cardamons,2 cloves,1 star anise,2 tej petta leaves  and 2 1 inch pieces of cinnamon stick,put the saucepan on the lowest heat and cook the spices without stirring for 15 to 20 minuets making sure the onions are browned ,if you stir you dont get the flavor

gently add a tbls of gg past moving the spices as little as possible and drizzle a tble spoon of veg oil over the paste and cook for about 10 minuets before adding 4 medium sized white onions on top,again without stirring,drizzle over 1/4 of a cup of oil and cook with lid on still on a low eat for 15 minuets,now give it a gentle stir and add enough water to cover the onion before adding salt to your taste,1 green chillie and 1 desert spoon of turmeric,simmer for 1 hour adding more water if needed

after this remove all the spices but squeeze in the seeds from the cardamon and then blend until smooth,return to the pan and gently cook for 20 mins,basically what you now have is a base,i have not tried making a bir yet but it is pretty flavorsome already

now you need to make a bhagar to add to it               
in a pan add 1/4 tsp of crushed coriander seeds,1/4 tsp fennel seeds and cumin seeds,gently warm them for 2 mins then add 1 desert spoon of veg oil along with 3 tsps of corinnder powder,1 tsp of mild curry powder,1 tsp cumin powder,1 tsp garam masala,warm on a low heat for 30 seconds then add 1 tblsp of tomato puree and 1/2 a cup of water,bring to a boil then add the juice from 1/4 of a lemon and a tsp of sugar,yogurt is optional,i am not sure if it made any difference to the finished curry as i tried with and without,cook gently for 20 mins before adding too the base

In a frying pan fry 2 thickly sliced onions until soft then add to curry
fry green peppers to add and add pre cooked chicken
add 3 sliced tomatoes and a tblsp of veg oil to a frying pan along with a tsp of paprika and 1/2 tsp of  cayenne pepper,cook until tomatoes are soft then add to the curry,this gives the curry another texture and lovely flavor,cook the curry for 5 to 10 mins before stirring in 1/2 tsp garam masala and fresh coriander to finish

It sounds like a mamoth task but it is not really,do it once and it quite easy to remember,the most important part is to try not to stir the spices you lose the depth of flavor

i could have made everyone on the forum a curry quicker than it took me to write this recipe

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: My best ever curry recipe
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2019, 08:30 AM »
Looks another good one, MP.  Many thanks for posting it, and I look forward to trying it in the near future.
** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes