Author Topic: 800  (Read 13495 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: 800
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2020, 07:45 PM »
So I finally got around to cooking chicken tikka in the Tepro steak grill yesterday.  No photographs (far too busy cooking / eating !) but first impressions were that the Tepro is excellent as a substitute tandoor (unless one wishes to cook naans, of course).  The chicken came out beautifully charred on the outside and equally beautifully moist on the inside.  Not sure for exactly how long I cooked it
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 09:17 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2020, 09:45 PM »
I now have some wooden-handled 21" 8mm square skewers on order as my present ones are too thin to turn the chicken satisfactorily.  I would be interested to know what those who have an authentic tandoor use by way of charcoal, as I was thinking of adding a charcoal layer below to supplement the gas heat from above.

Phil, when grilling my tikka instead of using the tandoor, I simply double skewer and place them over a shallow foil lined tray containing water.  I like big pieces so they don'y over-cook and I put 2 skewers through about an inch or so apart.  You can't cook all 4 side up but 2 is sufficient.  The water and foil lined tray is primarily for easier cleanup. It also provides humidity which may help retain internal moisture and external crisping.  Crisp crust bread is baked in high humidity ovens so I apply the same principal.

I use natural wood charcoal along with, or instead of, gas in my Pakistani steel tandoor, depending on how much heat I want.  Not briquettes or heat beads, although I have used these in open grill / hibachi for doing Souvlaki and Kebabs and in the charcoal Weber for roasting birds and lamb legs. They are fine for these applications so they'd probably be OK in the tandoor as well but I like using the natural wood charcoal.  There is a butcher near me that sells 5 kg bags at a reasonable price, not that this helps you much over there.

Similar to this but cheaper.  https://thebarbecueco.com.au/products/royal-oak-hardwood-lump-charcoal-7kg?variant=23591696367716&currency=AUD&utm_campaign=gs-2019-06-28&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2020, 10:37 PM »
Many thanks, Livo.  I did indeed use double skewers this evening, and found that using them I was able to grill on all four sides.  It is quite a delight to be able to cook chicken tikka so quickly and so easily

Offline romain

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2020, 04:44 AM »
I now have some wooden-handled 21" 8mm square skewers on order as my present ones are too thin to turn the chicken satisfactorily.  I would be interested to know what those who have an authentic tandoor use by way of charcoal, as I was thinking of adding a charcoal layer below to supplement the gas heat from above.

I use natural wood charcoal along with, or instead of, gas in my Pakistani steel tandoor, depending on how much heat I want.  Not briquettes or heat beads, although I have used these in open grill / hibachi for doing Souvlaki and Kebabs and in the charcoal Weber for roasting birds and lamb legs. They are fine for these applications so they'd probably be OK in the tandoor as well but I like using the natural wood charcoal.  There is a butcher near me that sells 5 kg bags at a reasonable price, not that this helps you much over there.

Similar to this but cheaper.  https://thebarbecueco.com.au/products/royal-oak-hardwood-lump-charcoal-7kg?variant=23591696367716&currency=AUD&utm_campaign=gs-2019-06-28&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign

I'm with you. All lump charcoal all the time! :like: :like: :like: :like:

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2020, 10:27 AM »
Phil Restaurant Grade charcoal is the best, i get it in 12kg bags from cpl, they will deliver and if you can muster up an order for 3 bags delivery is free, have a look, also Booker's sell it.

https://www.cpldistribution.co.uk

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2020, 12:39 PM »
Thanks, Micky.  I have a Bookers' card, so will look for it when I am next in there (St Austell branch).  I was going to buy 8kg Green Olive Firewood Restaurant Grade, but have now put that on hold ...

** Phil.

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2020, 10:57 AM »
Buffdee coming up in March and i'm tempted to get a Tepro, mainly for steaks, sous vide first and then Maillard under the grill, have you tried playing with the charcoal underneath yet Phil, also whats your thoughts on its build quality?

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2020, 11:46 AM »
Not yet had a chance to try the charcoal idea, Micky, but for steaks, hamburgers and (most important) chicken tikka, it seems excellent, especially since I now have six wooden-handled 21" 8mm square barbecue skewers (they came blunt, so I had to buy a bench grinder to sharpen them to a point).  As to build quality, it seems fine
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 05:58 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2020, 03:44 PM »
ive seen one for

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2020, 10:55 AM »
I've not cooked chicken tikka of late (one can have too much of a good thing, it would seem !), but I continue to use the Tepro for cooking chapatti, and I have to say, for someone who has never owned a gas hob, it is a real eye-opener.  To fit within the Tepro I moisten them, fold them in half, then grill the two outer sides; then reverse-fold, and grill what had previously been the inner.  It takes no more than 10 seconds per half-side, and what is now clear is that hotter is better.  Cooked on tickover, they char, taste good, but remain a little firm; cooked on max (but further from the heat source), they puff up almost instantly and are absolutely perfect.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 01:02 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

©2024 Curry Recipes