Author Topic: 'Tomato pur  (Read 1850 times)

Offline alanbuchanan

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
'Tomato pur
« on: December 12, 2019, 09:18 PM »
In recipes they say to use tomato pur

Offline Bob-A-Job

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: 'Tomato pur
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2019, 09:34 PM »
Hi Alan,

I can't ever remember using a recipe from here (I haven't tried every single one yet though) where the tomato puree hasn't been diluted.

Having a go at a recipe recently prompted here Eastern Tandoori Chicken Patala again using diluted.

The only exception is a Keema curry I make frequently that I found and wrote down years ago where the tomato puree is added after the onions and fried until the oil separates from it, at which point the meat and spices are added.

Regards,
BAJ

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2019, 09:34 PM »
Yes, I use the tube stuff, Alan, but usually far less than recommended (I don't like the taste of tomato in curries) and always diluted at least 2:1

** Phil.

Offline romain

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2019, 11:59 PM »
I hadn't looked at very many recipes here yet but I did check out a few random ones just now. In my recipes I always give the amount of undiluted tomato puree (paste for me) and suggest the reader dilute that with enough water to get to the consistency of passata rather than specify x tbsp of diluted. Specifying an amount of diluted puree seems prone to error to me.

That said I like tomato so I usually sit around 1/2-1 tbsp of puree so likely too much for your tastes.

Offline noble ox

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2019, 10:30 AM »
Have anyone else used tomato powder ?
Much purer than commercial purees and pasatas,easier to store no additives also mixes easy with water and smoother been using it for years and very pleased with the results obtainable on internet

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2019, 01:06 PM »
Have anyone else used tomato powder ?

I thought i knew most things about toms, tomato powder....never heard of it, be interesting to hear what others think of it.

I remember working near Heathrow where there was a sewerage treatment installation, the ground was full of tomato plants, proof seeds go straight through, respect to their resiliance lol.

©2024 Curry Recipes