Author Topic: Sweet Centre Video  (Read 12424 times)

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Sweet Centre Video
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2019, 09:07 AM »
Or.......could it be that Tomato powder is the secret ingredient that we have all been looking for.....and to get the flavour it has to be fast roasted at 800deg C, over to you phil :smile:

Offline noble ox

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2019, 10:01 AM »
The secret is technique and how to control heat nothing mystical

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2019, 10:37 AM »
And (with the greatest respect) experience.
** Phil.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 01:12 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2019, 11:02 AM »
Now look at the tomatoes visible in the "cooked to perfection" finished dish.  Halved cherry tomatoes not even cooked at all.

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt w.r.t. the tomatoes (those visible in the finished dish could be a garnish) but what happens to the pan between 1:35 & 1:42 ?  At the extremes, it is a large pan capable of making maybe four curries

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2019, 12:10 PM »
 "I believe it to be chicken tikka masala, a very different beast indeed.  Not that I like CTM, but he should get his facts right."

Certainly CTM is the fav from all the stuff i have read.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2019, 06:33 PM »
Tomato powder is nothing more than dehydrated and ground tomato, as the name would suggest.  Also known as instant tomato paste, all you do is add water. Herbies spices says to add 1 Tbsp to curries for extra body and flavour. I would think that any tomato paste, puree or pasata cooked down appropriately, as required, would provide the same end result.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2019, 10:29 PM »
I would also query his assertion that "chicken masala" is "Britain's favourite"

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2019, 06:41 PM »
George, it's no worse than BIR videos that claim to be making BIR style but then go on to make a homestyle curry. T'aint right but hardly unique in that respect.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2019, 06:43 PM »
The secret is technique and how to control heat nothing mystical

...and tomato powder according to your other post.  :evil:

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2019, 07:02 PM »
Further observations and comments. The news article and the video appear to be mostly are completely unrelated other than for the facts the same chef was responsible for both and they are about curry. The printed article was about the mistake everybody makes, thus achieving bland curry. Tempering spices. Not even mentioned in the video and certainly not demonstrated either.

Now the video. Oil, onion, garlic, ginger and fresh tomato with a bit of salt I think. Followed by tomato powder (more tomato), ginger powder (more ginger), Turmeric and Kashmiri Chilli powder. Chicken.  That's it.

Now here's the point. He says this is the base chicken curry which can be now made more or less spicy. I think what he demonstrated is only the initial step in the production of in house chicken curry dishes. In the form shown it would be a pretty ordinary dish to say the least. My thought would be that this Base chicken Masala would be incorporated into varying combinations of other mixed spices (tempered) and other additional ingredients to produce a range of in house 'dishes'. In other words a variation of the base gravy / pre-cooked meat system of the known BIR method.
Of course this is just a guess at what was shown. If it isn't correct then I'd suggest it is a pretty ordinary recipe for a finished dish and not one I'd be happy to pay for.

Edit: Not the same chef. 2 Totally different guys. The printed word in the article actually has absolutely nothing to do with the attached video.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 05:07 AM by livo »

©2024 Curry Recipes