Author Topic: Sweet Centre Video  (Read 12244 times)

Offline prawnsalad

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Sweet Centre Video
« on: December 15, 2019, 08:21 PM »
Mirror article from National Curry Week with a short video by Bradfords Sweet Centre.

Nothing obviously new but I know some here like to disect whats on display in the background of a real TA kitchen.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/youve-been-cooking-curry-wrong-20871907

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Sweet Centre Video
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 12:10 PM »
Tried to follow that link on both home and office machines, PS, but neither will render the images or the video.
** Phil.

Offline Bob-A-Job

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 12:45 PM »
Hi Phil,

It worked for me yesterday but since it is over a month old, I thought it might have been taken down or something.  Just tried it again, using Mozilla Firefox as my browser and it still works.  It doesn't start immediately though, you have to wait maybe 20 seconds and then it will start.

I don't think it is using Flash player but just in case, check for a symbol that looks like a jigsaw piece on the address line, sometimes it is on the left sometimes on the right, depending on which browser you use (Firefox it is left, Edge I believe it is on the right).  Click on it and if it says Flash is blocked, there is an option to 'Allow once'.

I hope that helps.
BAJ

Offline romain

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2019, 02:03 PM »
Worked for me. But I have a bit of trouble believing that restaurant cooks their curries to order like they show in the video. You'd be waiting 30-45 minutes at least. Has me thinking though - what if you made a whole bunch of base masala and used that. Something to think about...

One thing that surprised me - tomato powder in use. I'd never even heard of it until I saw it mentioned here recently.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2019, 04:08 PM »
Looked into the Daily Mirror non-display problem, and the offending element reads :

Code: [Select]
<video class="video-js" controls="" data-embed="default" playsinline="" muted=""></video>
Nothing obviously wrong there, but I suspect that I have autoplay turned off on all browsers, so in the absence of any <video> controls it may never start ...

No, that was not the problem.  It was/is my use of the "No-script" extension
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 10:12 AM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2019, 11:56 PM »
One thing that surprised me - tomato powder in use. I'd never even heard of it until I saw it mentioned here recently.

In the early days of the forum Pete used to visit a few takeaways and see them cooking. He reported that they said they used tomato powder but I think after a long discussion on the forum we came to the conclusion that what they called tomato-powder was in fact paprika. And as this guy also puts a tonne of fresh tomatoes in the same dish it's likely that in this case it is also paprika.

Offline romain

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2019, 12:55 PM »
Thanks for that Secret Santa. Saves me trying to get my hands on tomato powder.

Offline noble ox

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2019, 01:33 PM »
Tomato powder not paprika.
was recommended mix with water well worth obtaining

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2019, 11:34 PM »
Tomato powder not paprika.
was recommended mix with water well worth obtaining

So you're saying he's using all those fresh tomatoes and the tomato powder as well? Not convinced.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2019, 08:04 AM »
Couldn't resist any longer. Gullible is the only word not in the dictionary.  Look at the tomatoes he puts in during the cook. Pale horrible tasteless quarters of larger colourless and probably tasteless tomatoes.  No wonder he needs tomato powder.  Now look at the tomatoes visible in the "cooked to perfection" finished dish.  Halved cherry tomatoes not even cooked at all.
Durrr!!!!  I think he's onto the secret, hey.

©2024 Curry Recipes