Author Topic: tomato powder  (Read 2148 times)

Offline noble ox

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
tomato powder
« on: December 19, 2019, 10:05 AM »
tomato powder has for me been my go to when cooking final curry.
It has to be mixed with water which is quite simple ....over the years I have tried most purees and pasatas which have to. be stored in the fridge........usually with unwanted added sugar and salt seeds etc.....seeds can quite bitter ....stores easily in jars .......so it would be helpful to all if some of you try it and let us know your findings...rather than imagination or guessing....my local indian supplier sells 25kgs bags of it he supplies local birs.
Mods if this in wrong place please move

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: tomato powder
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2019, 11:33 AM »
Probably as good a place as any, NO, but please note that with the present configuration moderators do not have the ability to move messages

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2019, 06:38 PM »
Noble ox I'll venture, without having tried it, that this tomato powder is of no consequence or value to furthering the BIR flavour.  We know from multitudes of videos from actual BIRs and many visits by forum members that tomato pastes are the norm. Not trying to get a rise, just stating my opinion.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2019, 11:06 PM »
seeds etc.....seeds can quite bitter ...

I don't see any description of the product that says the seeds have been removed and in fact one method I read of producing it at home in a dehydrator actually only uses only the skins and seed pulp removed in the process of making tomato based preserves.

stores easily in jars .......so it would be helpful to all if some of you try it and let us know your findings...rather than imagination or guessing....my local indian supplier sells 25kgs bags of it he supplies local birs.

2 kg sells for Aus $55 so on those numbers it would want to be 9 - 10 X concentrate compared to fresh in today's summer market and close to the same compared to tinned Italian cherry tomatoes.

I think the storage capability is a big factor for industry use.  I can't say I've ever seen it in any of the Indian Grocery stores I've visited but I will certainly look for it next time I visit.  It is readily available from other sources so it won't be difficult to obtain.  I also imagine it would be a useful ingredient for making other powder / granule form seasonings like All Purpose, Italian, Cajun, Mexican etc.

©2024 Curry Recipes