Author Topic: Water levels not rising in Australia  (Read 9990 times)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Water levels not rising in Australia
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2020, 10:36 PM »
Meanwhile in Oz - cretins set fire to a quokka - as if the problems weren't bad enough.  Drop them into the burning forests.

French cretins. "Two French tourists who filmed themselves burning a quokka have been fined by a court in Perth, Australia."
Not that we don't have a fair scattering of the home grown variety.  There are often reports of animal cruelty and we only see the worst offenders.  Makes you wonder why we're here.

Well in some parts of the country the water levels have risen overnight. We've gone from on fire to flooded in less than a week. Some areas are still burning but significant rainfall has been welcomed in many fire areas with some local creeks filling for the first time in 5 years. 

There is now an estimated 15.6 million hectares of land burnt.  The California fires were 400,000 and the term Mega Fire was first used to describe them. Nearly 40 times that area has now burnt down here in Oz.  The early estimated "cost" is placed at over Aus $100 billion.

And this? What is the cost of this? https://www.news.com.au/technology/environment/heartbreaking-pictures-show-koala-mourning-dead-friend/news-story/a4358a49cd64d3bc8f66bea1e372da8d

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2020, 02:09 PM »

BSA Airsporter

Until 1997 i had amongst others a Colt Python :smile:

Airsporter legal without need for licence and more than adequate for the vermin job.  Late Uncle of mine was a gun club member - had all sorts in his time .38, luger,magnum, derringer, beautiful .22 target pistol - sadly all turned in with gun laws changed.

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2020, 11:04 PM »

BSA Airsporter

Until 1997 i had amongst others a Colt Python :smile:

Airsporter legal without need for licence and more than adequate for the vermin job.  Late Uncle of mine was a gun club member - had all sorts in his time .38, luger,magnum, derringer, beautiful .22 target pistol - sadly all turned in with gun laws changed.

Yep i had 4 handguns and reloaded all the ammunition, all handed in in 97 following a Knee Jerk reaction after Dunblane, i wouldnt have minded so much if that made a statutary sentance of 25 years for carrying a firearm. grrrr rant over

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2020, 08:03 AM »
:angry: As a kid the only people I knew who owned air rifles (slug guns / BB guns) took delight in killing or wounding things (not for food). It is a sickness of humanity.  Bows and arrows, and crossbows are being used against defenseless animals now.  Sickos who need a dose from the other end.

My family has always hunted and fished for sustenance. There is a huge difference.

Thankfully after our gun laws changed, even comic book air rifles were banned. The Prime Minister John Howard dealt with that after the Port Arthur massacre. My own father handed in his guns before the amnesty even started.  There is no need to own guns in a civilized society. 

Rural use by farmers is a different matter. Putting their own animals down after bush fires is case in point.

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2020, 09:21 AM »
I was active in competitive target shooting for over twenty years, even travelling abroad for competitions, i would class it as being a civilised sport and hobby.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2020, 10:16 AM »
French cretins. "Two French tourists who filmed themselves burning a quokka have been fined by a court in Perth, Australia". 

Fined ?  They should have been cremated.  Alive.

Well in some parts of the country the water levels have risen overnight. We've gone from on fire to flooded in less than a week. Some areas are still burning but significant rainfall has been welcomed in many fire areas with some local creeks filling for the first time in 5 years. 

That at least is good news.

And this? What is the cost of this? https://www.news.com.au/technology/environment/heartbreaking-pictures-show-koala-mourning-dead-friend/news-story/a4358a49cd64d3bc8f66bea1e372da8d

Sorry, Livo, I can't bring myself to follow the link

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2020, 11:37 PM »
I was active in competitive target shooting for over twenty years, even travelling abroad for competitions, i would class it as being a civilised sport and hobby.

I don't have a problem with registered sports shooting enthusiasts or even proper "collectors" mickyp. Proper background checks and good regulation is critical though.

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2020, 04:50 PM »
A good m8 of mine was an armourer with the MoD.  He was also a Bisley pistol champion.  Like most people in the sport / work, he had a fair collection of legit guns.  One day, him and his missus went off to work - each thinking they had locked up - but neither had checked their back door!  Sure enough they found they had been burgled via the unlocked back door when they got home & worst of all his gun cabinet had been forced open. Missing was a shotgun, 0.22 live rifle and a magnum 0.45. He reported this himself at the local nick in Widnes - where they detained him for 48 hours & gave him very intense interrogation over the 2 days - then releasing him.  The shotgun was found thrown into a field nearby - but no trace of the other 2 guns.  A fortnight later CID called on him and his missus saying there would be no charges brought against him for the gun loss - but said a strange thing to his missus as they left - asking her why it was she varied her route to work in Liverpool.  Turns out they had both been under surveillance for 10 days - cops concerned they may have been involved with say the IRA or similar - allowing the guns to be nicked !  Fair put the brownstuff up my m8 Steve.

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2020, 07:37 PM »
A good m8 of mine was an armourer with the MoD.  He was also a Bisley pistol champion.  Like most people in the sport / work, he had a fair collection of legit guns.  One day, him and his missus went off to work - each thinking they had locked up - but neither had checked their back door!  Sure enough they found they had been burgled via the unlocked back door when they got home & worst of all his gun cabinet had been forced open. Missing was a shotgun, 0.22 live rifle and a magnum 0.45. He reported this himself at the local nick in Widnes - where they detained him for 48 hours & gave him very intense interrogation over the 2 days - then releasing him.  The shotgun was found thrown into a field nearby - but no trace of the other 2 guns.  A fortnight later CID called on him and his missus saying there would be no charges brought against him for the gun loss - but said a strange thing to his missus as they left - asking her why it was she varied her route to work in Liverpool.  Turns out they had both been under surveillance for 10 days - cops concerned they may have been involved with say the IRA or similar - allowing the guns to be nicked !  Fair put the brownstuff up my m8 Steve.

I can imagine Ghoulie, I had four guns which were kept in a locked heavy steel cabinet bolted to the floor, which was a conditional part of the certificate, that said when i went away on hols i used to put them up in the loft under the insulation and take the starters out of the strip lights, so it would be a torch job, i felt happier that way.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2020, 07:01 AM »
Here's the most recent example of a home grown idiot from today's news.  Sadly these are a regular occurrence.  These people should have some sort of medieval punishment meted out to them.  Fines and minimal jail time just doesn't seem to be doing the trick.

https://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act/news/young-man-charged-with-cruelty-after-kangaroo-viciously-beaten-to-death-in-viral-video/news-story/9382f7ca490f1634302463fd185c397f

Here is a good use of your guns. Target practice.

©2024 Curry Recipes