Author Topic: First Friday night curry 2020  (Read 7375 times)

Offline romain

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: First Friday night curry 2020
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2020, 05:06 AM »
I take a lot of food pictures and I have a few generally accepted "guidelines" for the genre for anyone who might be interested.

1) Don't use a flash attached to a camera or phone. If you can get focus without using your flash do it. On-camera flash, unless you are really good, is just going to disappoint. I am not good enough so I just don't do it. Off-board flash on the other hand can really be your friend.

2) Light from above is never flattering. You need contrast. Light coming in from the side is flattering. Light from above flattens your image out.

3) Soft light is better than hard light. So a cloudy day is easier to deal with than bright sunshine and the hard shadows that go with it.

4) Don't mix light sources. As an example, mixing sunlight and incandescent light will give your camera problems. Colours get all wonky. That's white balance if you want to read more.

The latest generation of phones are all capable of taking truly amazing images. Taking the time to understand how they work is going to let help you take great pics...

Hope this helps those that are interested in food photography.

Offline Alchemist

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2020, 08:22 AM »
I know your photos are stunning, Romain, so am confident your advice will be spot on! Lighting for me it always the hardest thing to get right.

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2020, 03:16 PM »
Hi mickyP the first picture on the Balti tikka is with the food option on my phone, Samsung S9, it has a little blur effect around the edges and more focused on the centre of the picture when taken.
I like to take three photos of each dish just to show the difference in colour and such when the finished dish is presented, not really into the professional type photos, style over substance, i dont add any effects, lighting or use photo shop to adjust anything.
More into the "raw" look of a dish so if anybody wants to try the recipe it has an original look and they know what the dish should look like, thereabouts.
Also MickyP when you defrost your bhajis cook them in the oven instead of refrying, just a little more healthy  :Clown:, i did both and the oven ones do come out a little better and less oily/greasy.

@Livo the Chicken Tikka is Blades recipe https://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=874.320
with dried mint leaves instead of mint sauce
 i only use 2 tbsp lemon juice
i also add 1 DSP CA mix powder
and 1 DSP Tandoori Masala Powder
and i omit the orange food colouring
i also add 3-4 tbsp yoghurt 20 minutes before i plan on cooking, i cook in a Tandoori Oven but can also be cooked in the oven at 180C fan assisted on top shelf.

The Balti version is using the same recipe for Blades Tikka but using
Homemade Balti Paste
omit food colouring
omit Tandoori Masala Powder and use Balti Masala Powder instead
again just 2 tbsp lemon juice
and no yoghurt.
Any questions please feel free to ask.

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2020, 06:54 PM »
Ok UF i will give the oven a whirl for finishing the Bhaji;s and report back.

Offline romain

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2020, 12:34 PM »
Thanks Alchy.

Soft light from the side and you'll have no problem.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2020, 07:21 PM »
Great help there UF. I have my own Balti paste and a masala here so I'll give that a try. I know many rate Blade's tikka and I think your adjustments will work positively. I've been using Chewy's and I can't fault it but I'll give your version a shot. They both look delicious.

Have you ever used the Balti tikka to make a Balti CTM?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 12:50 AM by livo »

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2020, 11:22 AM »
I have livo, the recipe i use for Balti CTM has mustard added for a lovely warm heat.

©2024 Curry Recipes