Author Topic: h4ppyleader secret base and spiced oil revealed  (Read 20204 times)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: h4ppyleader secret base and spiced oil revealed
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2020, 11:54 AM »
I don't have Chrome installed, but in Firefox (my second browser, main is Seamonkey) I see not a "Download" button as text but instead just an underlined downward pointing arrow.  Anyhow, don't worry too much

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2020, 12:36 PM »
Worked OK on Firefox, so who knows.

Offline romain

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2020, 11:06 PM »
I'm genuinely curious. I don't really see the point of this technique. This is just adding a tadka (some say baghar) to your curry base. I'm of the mind that I like to keep my base simple and tailor flavour to a specific profile when I make a curry. If I think a curry needs a finishing tadka I add it to the curry. I always bloom my spices in oil so maybe this is skewing my perspective?

Other than speed in a production kitchen what advantage does this have? Seems to me all this does is push all your curries to taste similar in the end by using a stronger flavoured base.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2020, 11:30 PM »
It worked for me using Chrome. Followed the links. Print to pdf.

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2020, 01:08 AM »
I'm genuinely curious. I don't really see the point of this technique. This is just adding a tadka (some say baghar) to your curry base. I'm of the mind that I like to keep my base simple and tailor flavour to a specific profile when I make a curry. If I think a curry needs a finishing tadka I add it to the curry. I always bloom my spices in oil so maybe this is skewing my perspective?

Other than speed in a production kitchen what advantage does this have? Seems to me all this does is push all your curries to taste similar in the end by using a stronger flavoured base.

I agree with you. Certainly doesn't sound like something that a typical BIR (especially a TA) would dedicate either the time or material to when more traditional 70's/80's/90's methods produced a very decent enough curry. I believed the whole idea behind the base gravy was that it was 'mildly spiced' so that a few spices could be added to allow a whole range of flavours. If the gravy is over-spiced then that would limit the flexibility of the gravy - something I'm sure they wouldn't do. Certainly appears to be a lot of additional time and effort to produce for what is essentially (as you say) a tadka.  However i am genuinely interested to see the outcome of this 'modern' gravy method.

Offline romain

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2020, 12:49 PM »

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile

Offline romain

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2020, 02:05 PM »
Ah, I see. That makes sense. Thank you for clarifying.

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2020, 02:16 PM »
Ah, I see. That makes sense. Thank you for clarifying.

:like:

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2020, 06:57 PM »
Hi Sverige

Thank you for your welcoming comments.

However, for the time being I'm just visiting and seeing how the forum has developed and what's new in the world of BIR.

Not sure yet whether I'll be contributing as I'm old school BIR and it looks like things have moved on a tad - but time will tell.

Cheers.  :like:

SnS (smokenspices)

©2024 Curry Recipes