Author Topic: h4ppyleader secret base and spiced oil revealed  (Read 20503 times)

Offline Alchemist

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: h4ppyleader secret base and spiced oil revealed
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2020, 11:51 PM »
I will be making a batch of this in a couple of days time so will feedback what I think of the gravy and also the madras I intend to use as a tester for it. I suspect it will not be a game changer...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2020, 03:11 PM »

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2020, 03:17 PM »
Reading that thread through, Mr Happy certainly did like to tease.  Would have been much better just to post the info on the forum rather than all that nonsense.

The problem was that in his naivety he'd dug himself a hole by insisting that he had the secret and it had never been seen before. Once it was pointed out to him that he had nothing new he should just have stopped there and come clean. His ebook would still have been useful. Not so much now though, seven years later.

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2020, 07:54 AM »
Reading that thread through, Mr Happy certainly did like to tease.  Would have been much better just to post the info on the forum rather than all that nonsense.

The problem was that in his naivety he'd dug himself a hole by insisting that he had the secret and it had never been seen before. Once it was pointed out to him that he had nothing new he should just have stopped there and come clean. His ebook would still have been useful. Not so much now though, seven years later.

Spot on SS!

Offline Alchemist

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2020, 08:31 AM »
So, as promised I made the 'magic paste' and the base gravy this week, followed by a few curries.

The paste did have a lovely TA aroma to it, so I was almost 'dancing around the kitchen' after making it. I then made the base with the paste as Chris describes in his ebook. The aroma did not really come through in the base once made.

First I made a chicken tikka madras, after diluting the base to the normal milky like levels I have always used. It did not cook in the normal manner, no oil separation and I ended up with a pastey curry, that tasted overspiced.

I tried again, another madras, this time diluting the base to be quite watery and got much better results. The madras was tasty, BUT no better than anything I have made with other bases. I made a few more curries (all made on the high output burner, following the same non-stirring style that Sam the chef at Chris' TA uses) and got similar results.

My verdict is this is a very nice base that will make tasty curries. In no way is it some secret answer to creating a world class BIR style curry. 7 years of waiting and feeling disappointed but not at all surprised.

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2020, 09:53 AM »
Thanks for your effort and feedback Alchy, :like:

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2020, 06:25 PM »

7 years of waiting and feeling disappointed but not at all surprised.

Chewytikka

Offline romain

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2020, 04:54 AM »
Alchy - Crazy question - what if you added a tablespoon of the paste to a final curry? With a drizzle of the spiced oil. I'm wondering, for big flavoured curries like madras, would it give it something special?

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile

©2024 Curry Recipes