Author Topic: h4ppyleader secret base and spiced oil revealed  (Read 20502 times)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: h4ppyleader secret base and spiced oil revealed
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2020, 08:41 AM »
I will try to photograph the rest of the process but I can't guarantee it.
Beer does have that effect, Livo

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2020, 08:10 PM »
More a matter of just being too busy preparing other dishes and tasks to take photos, however, I did manage to. I'll post them in a little while after I get them off my phone and resize them. You made me look again at the photos already posted. No beer cans evident. There is 1 or 2 in the pictures to come. I used them to prop the kebab skewers up.  I'm now paranoid that you're watching me from afar Phil. :omg:

Changes I made to H4ppychris ' recipe.
I only had 2 green cayenne Chili so I added 1/2 of each a green, red and yellow capsicum. Finely diced and pressed between absorbent paper towel to remove moisture.
I used Bolst's Kashmiri paste.
Substituted All-purpose seasoning in place of salt and also added a small amount of Knorr Chicken seasoning.
500 g beef mince, 500 g lamb mince and 300 g chicken mince.
The eggs were small so I added 2 and increased gram flour to 1/2 cup.
Mix was a bit wet so I added 1 cup of panko breadcrumbs.

Only 1 kebab dropped off the skewer and they were delicious. Served with brown Basmati pilau rice with Turmeric and fresh garden salad. A very nice summer dinner.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2020, 08:55 PM »
Well done Livo.  I cooked chicken tikka in the Tepro grill again this evening, this time using my freshly sharpened 8mm square barbecue skewers, and once again it was not bad at all.  There is now, in my mind, no doubt that achieving a very high temperature (800C, in the case of the Tepro) is essential if one is to achieve perfect tandoori or tikka
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 09:22 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2020, 10:07 PM »
More photos of the cooking and eating process. (Beer cans included in these Phil.  I knew spy satellites were good but I didn't know they could see through the roof.)  Great Northern Super Crisp is a very tasty and refreshing mid strength lager.

Anyway.
30 kebabs on 5 skewers.
1st 3 skewers into the heat.
2nd batch on the go.
1 lot cooked (1 fell off).
2nd batch cooked.
Off the skewers.
On the plate.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2020, 10:14 PM »
Very nice (apart from the veg!).  One question, if I may ?  From the photographs, the heat emanates from the bottom of the tandoor; are the kebabs at the top cooked as much as those at the bottom ?  Oh, and a cultural question, now that I've looked at the photographs again
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 10:54 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2020, 10:46 PM »
The Pakistani Tandoor is a double walled unit with double ring gas burners.  The inside cooking surface is a type of steel and the outside is Stainless Steel.  One burner heats the inside of the tandoor through aligned holes in the bottom and the other burns up into the gap between the internal and external walls. You can control them separately and having the wall burner on high you get heat going right to the top and can control the wall temperature for doing naan.  It is quite primitive in design and manufacture but efficient in operation. 

I usually put lump charcoal inside and once it's alight turn the bottom gas burner right down.  Once the lid is on it is pretty even temperature and the top ones cook perfectly well.  It is fairly even although the bottom ones do get a bit extra. Not enough to worry about as you can see from the photographs of the cooked kebabs while still on the skewers.

Which veg are you unhappy with Phil?  The capsicum in the kebabs, the potato separators or the broccoli and carrot in the salad?

There is a black handled knife on the table under my daughter's hand, partially obscured by the plate.  An interesting point on this though. Just yesterday morning it was reported on the TV news breakfast program that the skills of eating with knife and fork are diminishing in the younger population, along with hand-writing skills and penmanship.  It appears that pushing buttons, swiping touchscreens and eating with the hands is all that is required in the younger generation.

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2020, 03:16 PM »
Very nice (apart from the veg!).  One question, if I may ?  From the photographs, the heat emanates from the bottom of the tandoor; are the kebabs at the top cooked as much as those at the bottom ?  Oh, and a cultural question, now that I've looked at the photographs again

©2024 Curry Recipes