Author Topic: On writing style ...  (Read 4872 times)

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
On writing style ...
« on: January 23, 2020, 11:21 AM »
If you don't have the freezer space or just don't want to make a big batch of base there's a way that comes close to restaurant style. IMO it will get you 80 percent of the way there and you can make it one curry at a time.

You can check it out here.

Swap the chicken for paneer in  this recipe and you'll have a pretty good saag paneer.

Hope you find something that works for you. Ultimately, if you get into BIR you'll wind up finding a way to make a big batch of curry base. It's a rabbit hole I've fallen down certainly.

Excellent blog Romaine. Just FYI, you have permission to use more than an average of five words per sentence And there is more punctuation available than just a full-stop.  :smile2: ~~~~

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: On writing style ...
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 12:33 PM »

Excellent blog Romaine. Just FYI, you have permission to use more than an average of five words per sentence And there is more punctuation available than just a full-stop.  :smile2: ~~~~

In Romain's (note no e  :angel:) defence he is running a blog that could be read by people who get short of breath so he is probably keeping them in mind, also you can have far to much Grammarmasala in a recipe you know :smile:

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 12:35 PM »
If you could be bothered looking far enough you will find I'm a strong advocate of non-linear scaling of "bulk dishes". I am however a firm believer that base gravy is able to be made at any volume with pretty much direct linear scaling...

And the prize for best oxymoron goes to ...

Offline romain

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 12:49 PM »

Thank you. The writing style is a conscious choice. I like to think it is a differentiator. And I do get quite a bit of positive feedback so I am going to stick with it. Part of the brand, as it were.

There are many, many blogs out there with a rambling, disjointed style of writing where the reader is forced to follow along the author's thoughts over multiple lines - and multiple logical sentences and I find that a bit tiresome to read so I avoid it by using a choppy, broken up style of writing both to improve the user experience and frankly because I am not a fan of sentences the length of a paragraph.

I trust you see why I write the way I do? Based on the sentence above? :clown2:

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2020, 12:50 PM »

In Romain's (note no e  :angel:) defence he is running a blog that could be read by people who get short of breath so he is probably keeping them in mind, also you can have far to much Grammarmasala in a recipe you know :smile:

Yeah!  :cool: good one  :owsome:  FWITW, I meant what I said about the blog, the recipes are awesome. Just that the prose is a little...Gatling gun   :lol:  But we wouldn't have it any other way.

E.g., Turkish cuisine often calls for onion juice, which is a complete bark (pissing about wringing out raw onions etc), but that nuking technique might be just what I'm looking for (as a paste rather than juice, but hoping there's little difference in the end product).

(And apologies for the Romain+e, I must've been thinking of lettuce!)

Offline romain

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2020, 12:57 PM »
Haha. Gatling gun indeed. Try subvocalizing it when you read it. People who know me personally tell me they hear me speaking when they read my blog. Conversational.

It's not perfect. Just pretty close. I like to think of it as a gateway curry. You have to bloom your spices in oil for this to work. IMO you need to bloom your spices no matter what though so YMMV.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2020, 01:58 PM »
The style can, and does, alienate some readers, just as does (I am sure) my own preference for long, convoluted, sentences with multiple subordinate clauses, archaic spellings ("shewn"), less common spellings ("pulao"), foreign spellings ("joghurt"), an insistence on the correct diacritics for foreign words such as "r
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 02:18 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline romain

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2020, 04:44 PM »
If that's aimed at my style let it be known that if they don't like the writing they are free to go elsewhere. I simply do not care. That too, is a conscious choice.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2020, 05:05 PM »
If that's aimed at my style [...]

Not certain whether "that" refers to my immediately preceding post, or to another, but for clarification the only part of my post that referred to (not "was aimed at") your style was the first eight words ("The style can, and does, alienate some readers").  All the rest was aimed at (and referred to) my own distinctly prolix contributions ...

** Phil.

Offline romain

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2020, 06:05 PM »
That's exactly how I read it, yes.  :smile:

©2024 Curry Recipes