Author Topic: BIR pet hates  (Read 3030 times)

Offline TiptonNick

• Chef
    • View Profile
BIR pet hates
« on: February 01, 2020, 09:15 PM »
Firstly, I'm Nick from deepest darkest Tipton which is in the Black Country. Thank you everyone for accommodating me to what, on initial impression looks like a wonderful site. Just tucked away my favourite curry which is a Madras - tang of tomato, basic loose sauce with sweetness balanced with spice and coriander - it really is heaven. And a naan bread (garlic) served whole for that tear-and-share experience.

Anyway - back to topic. It's bugged me for some time now; don't get me wrong Brexit and Wolves doing well in the Premier League have bugged me more but why oh why oh why do some establishments cook great, fluffy, chewy, sweet, charred naans and the serve them cut into pieces! No! We should be allowed to rip and dip. Is this a modern thing? Why take a perfectly round, or oval piece of bread and then cut it into pieces? I am confused...

Anyway, fun thread, any other BIR pet hates out there?

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: BIR pet hates
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2020, 09:36 PM »
Pet hates ?  Where to start ...

o BIR 'chefs' who tried to learn their trade by peering into the kitchen when they were supposed to be waiting at table
    o Too much tomato, drowning all other flavours
    o A sauce so thick you could cut it with a knife
    o Almost anything that gets passed-off these days as "chicken chat", especially if it starts life in the tandoor
    o Chicken tikka in a main course, replacing the pre-cooked chicken of yore
    o Beef sold as lamb.

That should do for now !

Offline TiptonNick

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2020, 10:10 PM »
Beef as lamb??? Under the monicker as 'meat'? Wow!

Tomato? When there's too much it almost burns your tongue. Odd one tomato because it can be so good and yet so bad but purees not diluted correctly and sweetened is perhaps the problem? Personally I think a good Madras should have a 'tang' but not too much if you know what I mean? And yet the raw ingredient can sometimes go unnoticed.

Interesting. Ta mate. Curry tonight?

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2020, 10:17 PM »
Beef as lamb??? Under the monicker as 'meat'? Wow!

Not even badged as "meat", on the last occasion.  The chef has clearly written "lamb biryani" on the lid, but the contents (apart from the rice and spices) were 100% beef.

Curry tonight?

Had a rather bad one last night (chicken so tough it took me two hours to finish my chicken bhuna), so I'll pass tonight, thanks.  Just cooked an Aberdeen Angus hamburger, but the bun was too sweet and the pre-sliced mozarella didn't work as well as hoped, so finished off with an Eton Mess just to make up for the other disappointments !

** Phil.

Offline TiptonNick

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2020, 10:44 PM »
Phil I seem to have unlocked some inner anger!  :wink:

Always stick to chicken is perhaps the message? Not a huge fan of beef in curry but I'd certainly notice the difference between that and lamb. So can't understand why they would try it on.

Another one: poppadoms which are so obviously over a fee days old and taste stale.

Promise I'll do some positive stuff soon!

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2020, 09:07 AM »
Glow in the dark / near luminous chicken Tikka.

Leaning across you interupting conversation to wipe the table,

Unreadable bills

I remember one restaurant "boss" just hanging around giving orders to his staff and then sitting down and nodding off at a table.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2020, 11:52 AM »
Gravy not thin enough to run through a handkerchief.   :omg: Insufficient Chilli to make your forehead drip for the sake of it and render the dish otherwise tasteless.   :dislike: Not enough oil and salt for you to realise it's bad for your health and well-being.   :Clown:  Real lamb in my Rogan Josh and excessive lamb in my Beef curry.  :uh what:  Excess cheese in the Naan.   :confusing3:  Being able to get good Mango Chicken and Chicken Korma.    :angry:  Moist Chicken Tikka as a main dish served with salad.  :clown2:  Being able to tell the difference between the Madras and the Vindaloo.  :sleepy:  Being unsure if the Balti Chicken is really a Balti or not.  :smile:  Ok well, I admit I've never eaten in a BIR.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2020, 03:17 PM »
BIR Pet Hates?

People moaning about BIR.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2020, 07:21 AM »
As the OP explained.

Anyway, fun thread, any other BIR pet hates out there?

Nought wrong with having a little bit of fun every once in a while.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2020, 07:28 AM »
Glow in the dark / near luminous chicken Tikka.
Does this require an extra ingredient and black lighting?
Leaning across you interupting conversation to wipe the table,
I think that some restaurant's tables need as much wiping as possible.  I can honestly say I've never experienced that, even in the Golden Arches.
Unreadable bills
Pay them what you think it says.   :Clown:
I remember one restaurant "boss" just hanging around giving orders to his staff and then sitting down and nodding off at a table.
Job done. Time for a nap.

©2024 Curry Recipes