Author Topic: pre cooked chicken easy way to go  (Read 8524 times)

Offline noble ox

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
pre cooked chicken easy way to go
« on: February 11, 2020, 02:32 PM »
Rather than pre cooking chicken then freezing thawing out etc.
Assuming a curry base sauce is used heat it up then add chicken portions cook for around 8 mins then remove
Cook curry as your normal method adding chicken in last 5 mins to finish off you will get succulent fresh chicken every time also works for other meats adjust cooking time as required
Saves a lot of faffing around.
Try it out and lets have your comments

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: pre cooked chicken easy way to go
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 03:46 PM »
Seems perfectly logical to me, NO.
** Phil.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 05:53 PM »
Each to their own but cooking in base sauce is the worst way to precook chicken in my opinion. I always could tell when takeaways did this and assiduously avoided them thereafter.

Offline noble ox

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 07:25 PM »
SS .......If you read the post you may notice the 1 st 4 words...........

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 11:45 PM »
Pre-cooking doesn't necessarily involve freezing and thawing. What you've described Ox is a simple method that I have used in the past and will again in the future. 

I now always use the method you describe with a diluted Base Gravy to pre-cook chicken when I'm making Mango Chicken or other lightly spiced creamy dishes.  I've found that full spiced pre-cook is not suited to the dish, which requires a very lightly spiced base gravy as well.

If I'm doing BIR style preparation I typically pre-cook chicken, lamb and vegetables. I usually use it all straight away, or at least from the fridge within a few days.  I've rarely had the need to freeze any of it.  For full-flavoured dishes I am a big fan of Misty Ricardo's methods but I also like the Kushi recipes and I've tried a couple of others including those from the different Balti books I have.  These all produce perfectly acceptable dishes.  The Balti Secrets 1  methods for "Par-cooked" meat and chicken are very basic. Nothing too fancy at all.

1 The Balti Secrets of the Birmingham Balti Company by Janet and Peter Lardner, 1997.

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 09:39 AM »
We all know Indian Restaurants pre cook for speed, especially needed for Lamb or whatever is being used as Lamb lol, does pre cooking actually impart a different texture / taste to cooking it from raw.

As we know speed is of the essence here so unless we ourselves are in a hurry or need to pre cook for logistical reasons do we need to precook.
I remember reading in one of pat chapmans books he said about cooking lamb in salted water for 45 mins to remove the dominant flavour of the lamb, personally i would prefer to use base than that but at the end its down to personal choice.

If a TA chef was cooking a one off chicken dish for a friend how do you think he / she would do it, pre cooked or raw?

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2020, 03:15 PM »
SS .......If you read the post you may notice the 1 st 4 words...........

Yes, I partially misread your post (speed reading clearly not my fort

Offline noble ox

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2020, 03:36 PM »
SS............Read the post again slowly ....You might notice cook chicken for 8 mins then finish off for 5 mins = 13 mins 

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2020, 05:06 PM »
SS............Read the post again slowly ....You might notice cook chicken for 8 mins then finish off for 5 mins = 13 mins

NO :  Read the post again slowly
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 05:38 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2020, 09:44 AM »

NO :  Read the post again slowly

©2024 Curry Recipes