Author Topic: Bhajis !!  (Read 5177 times)

Offline H3av3N

• Chef
    • View Profile
Bhajis !!
« on: February 15, 2020, 03:47 PM »
I just made a batch of these - literally finished cooking them like 5 mins ago.  Kitchen still smells amazing !!!

https://curry-recipes.co.uk/recipe/onion-bhaji-recipe/

Really decent recipe for flavour.    I did use 1 whole tsp of the chilli powder though ( as mine is mild so usually need a little more than what recipes ask for so you actually get a little heat from it ) and also added in 1 tsp of fennel seeds.

They taste really good.   Just polished off 2 of the batch of 10 that I got out of this mixture with some homemade mint sauce !!!!

The rest will be eaten later as starters for dinner this evening - along with some samosas that I previously made and froze ( will need to cook them once thawed a little )

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Bhajis !!
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 03:59 PM »
Interesting.  I think that the original is here, but it has been mis-credited :  the recipe is actually by "gazman1976", not "gazman" who is a different member.  No idea where "Omar" comes into it ...

** Phil.

Offline H3av3N

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2020, 04:09 PM »
Think all the recipes on that side of the site show as from 'Omar'

Offline H3av3N

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2020, 04:17 PM »

Pic for reference also.   Was unsure about just 2 mins and flipping, so first two I did I cooked for around 4 mins each side ( left hand side of pic )

They were cooked, but a little over I felt, so I then only cooked for the 2 mins and flipped, tested one and it was cooked through great - onions were not raw, so finished the batch at the recommended 2 mins each side.   They came out well, all cooked through - and a nice light colour rather than being too dark. 

Will def be making these again

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2020, 06:51 PM »
Good effort and welcome, don't forget you can freeze em rather than scoffing, i agree with you on the smell of them, unfortunately ive been banished to cooking them outside :(

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2020, 06:54 PM »
Think all the recipes on that side of the site show as from 'Omar'

That's this site as well isn't it, although with a different layout? the address is
Code: [Select]
https://curry-recipes.co.uk/ rather than
https://www.curry-recipes.co.uk so the same but with the
www.. Odd that! And it still doesn't explain who Omar is   :Clown:

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2020, 08:12 PM »
And it still doesn't explain who Omar is   :Clown:

Yousef and Omar are both Arabic names. Coincidence?

Offline noble ox

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2020, 09:09 AM »
Good effort and welcome, don't forget you can freeze em rather than scoffing, i agree with you on the smell of them, unfortunately ive been banished to cooking them outside :(
mickyp.
There is a method of cooking onion bargees without deep frying
 Fry the batch of onions in a pan then put in a bowl  add spices gram flour and water
Heat oven then put in oven tray with a sheet of baking paper with a spoon put dollops of onion mix on tray cook for 10 mins then remove and spray with a little oil cook for another 5 mins till done healthier not so oily and almost odour free

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2020, 11:44 PM »
My last attempt at Onion Bhajis was a big disappointment.  I really didn't see what all the fuss was about. I've spent a couple of hours this morning researching through this forum and linked youtubes, plus other recipes, and come up with some interesting variations on the theme. I'm going to spend some time today (raining outside) making some "starters".

I'm going to try a hybrid blend of about 4 or 5 different Bhaji recipes with some variable experimentation.

Sorry for going off topic, but I'll also be making a starter dish I made once before that went down a treat with the family.  It's a lot of work but the results are very tasty.  Malabar style Chicken Spring Rolls.  It's a lot of work because the wrappers are individually cooked on the tawa. I guess you could use frozen Chinese spring roll wrappers but last time the fresh cooked ones were really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoW_dpjOdnQ 

Anyway, I'll report back on the Bhajis.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2020, 09:22 AM »
Good luck, Livo

©2024 Curry Recipes