Author Topic: Patak's tandoori paste  (Read 16840 times)

Offline romain

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Patak's tandoori paste
« on: February 19, 2020, 01:14 AM »
Last week I had a reader tell me that Patak's has discontinued its tandoori paste in the UK and I have a friend in Australia who reports the same there. I thought I'd give doing a copycat recipe a go as a public service :angel:.

I think I got very close. Slightly better to my palate but close. It's still available here and still listed on the Patak's Canada website curiously. Took me a few days as tasting tandoori paste straight from the jar is a palate blowing experience...

If anyone is interested the recipe for the copycat tandoori paste is available now.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 01:41 PM by romain »

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Patak's tandoori paste
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 08:28 AM »
Last week I had a reader tell me that Patak's has discontinued it's tandoori paste in the UK and I have a friend in Australia who reports the same there. I thought I'd give doing a copycat recipe a go as a public service :angel:.

I think I got very close. Slightly better to my palate but close. It's still available here and still listed on the Patak's Canada website curiously. Took me a few days as tasting tandoori paste straight from the jar is a palate blowing experience...

If anyone is interested the recipe for the copycat tandoori paste is available now.

As far as I

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 08:29 AM »
Is there really no oil in your take on Patak's tandoori paste, Romain ?  Although I have none in the cupboard at the moment, I seem to recall that when I had some in the past, it did have a fairly obvious oil content (mustard oil, if I remember correctly), so I was surprised to find none in your recipe.  I do have a catering size Patak's kebab paste in the cupboard, and the oil in that is very obvious, which is why/how I can (and do) store it at room temperature for years after its "best by" date ...

** Phil.

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2020, 10:05 AM »
Is there really no oil in your take on Patak's tandoori paste, Romain ?  Although I have none in the cupboard at the moment, I seem to recall that when I had some in the past, it did have a fairly obvious oil content (mustard oil, if I remember correctly), so I was surprised to find none in your recipe.  I do have a catering size Patak's kebab paste in the cupboard, and the oil in that is very obvious, which is why/how I can (and do) store it at room temperature for years after its "best by" date ...

:like: I have even topped up the oil, and yep keep it for ages to mature :)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 10:11 AM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline romain

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2020, 01:40 PM »

** Phil.

None listed in the ingredients on what is sold here. It does look like it could have some oil but given that any paste is meant to be mixed by oil I didn't much see the point in guessing on that one. I suspect there's some in the ginger paste though and your point about it having preservative properties is taken. I think I'll add a bit to the recipe.

MickyP -  https://www.pataks.ca/products/tandoori-curry-paste

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2020, 02:18 PM »
Fascinating!  Patak's ?new? Tandoori Spice Marinade clearly says "captured in oil", but when you look at the retail and catering packs of the original "Tandoori Curry Paste", the consumer version is badged "mild" while the catering one is "medium".  I have a 2,5kg catering pack on order, so I shall report back ...
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 03:18 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline romain

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2020, 03:03 PM »
That's a marinade - not a paste. I'm told it's a completely different beast. We don't have that here so I can't check it myself.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2020, 03:17 PM »
Well, what else would you do with a tandoori paste apart from marinade with it ?  The accompanying blurb from the link that you posted reads (in part) "[t]andoori is the traditional marinade in Northern India ...", so it seems clear (to me at least) that Patak's Tandoori Curry Paste is in fact, regardless of its name, a marinade ...

** Phil.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 04:29 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2020, 06:05 PM »
This is the one I use

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2020, 06:26 PM »
That's also the one (inc. size) that I have on order.
** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes