Author Topic: Patak's tandoori paste  (Read 16852 times)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Patak's tandoori paste
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2020, 08:05 AM »
You can't delete a post. All you can do is modify to remove content if you're quick enough. At least that's better than email. Once you hit send, it's too late.

The point is Romain, that tasting raw Pataks, and your own concoction by comparison, will not assure any similarity in the cooked dish. It simply can't and just won't. You might have fluked something similar but that would be the extent of tasting raw pastes.

Since when did eating raw spices predict the flavour of cooked?

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2020, 09:09 AM »
Well, I see merits to both sides.  If Romain's tasted entirely different to Patak's (raw), then the chances of them producing the same flavours in the final dish would be vanishingly small.  But if they taste very similar, then I would be willing to believe that the probability of them producing the same flavours in the final dish would be somewhat improved.  Would you not agree, Livo ?  Nonetheless, eating raw marinades or curry pastes is not something I would normally consider doing.

Offline romain

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2020, 01:39 PM »
Livo, you speak in absolutes without a) tasting Patak's tandoori paste and b) tasting my "concoction". I do not see any point in continuing this discussion so let's just agree to disagree.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2020, 01:56 PM »
You can't delete a post.

Your friendly local moderator can always be asked to delete a post if it has inadvertently been made in the wrong thread (or whatever). 

** Phil.

Offline romain

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2020, 02:25 PM »
You can't delete a post.

Your friendly local moderator can always be asked to delete a post if it has inadvertently been made in the wrong thread (or whatever). 

** Phil.

Hi friendly local moderator,

Please delete the two posts flagged below. I didn't really want to show off the fact that I am incapable of correctly quoting a snippet. :clown2:

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2020, 04:57 PM »
I got mine from Bookers, and my local store does it for about

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2020, 04:59 PM »
Please delete the two posts flagged below. I didn't really want to show off the fact that I am incapable of correctly quoting a snippet. :clown2:

"audire est obedire" ...

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2020, 05:03 PM »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2020, 05:42 PM »
I do agree that if the raw pastes don't taste the same, there is no chance of dishes cooked with them being even similar. I still maintain that the tasting of the raw pastes is no guarantee of successful reproduction. Of course if the original propriety product paste has a complete ingredient list with percentages, then the chance of reproduction is significantly inceased.  I'm not saying that you havn't landed a copycat version. You probably have.  I'm simply questioning the reliability of using raw taste tests as an indicator.

The concentration of the paste and nature of it would blast the taste buds, along with fact that raw spices, in most cases, taste nothing like cooked.

I'm sure you've also cooked the pastes as well for comparison.

Past experience in trying to replicate products has shown me that even when most ingredients are known, the home made item is rarely exactly the same. Food product manufacturers have access to additives and preservatives that aren't found in kitchens or on supermarket shelves.

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2020, 07:17 PM »
Total coincidence but I was casting my eye over the Pataks jars in Morrisons today and they had loads of tandoori paste jars so it seems it's still available in the UK. By the way you're not supposed to eat the pastes raw. I emailed Pataks to find out why and got a response but it was a long time ago and I can't remember what the reason they gave was. Of course, like most fools, I ignore such advice and just tuck in.

Botulism toxins risk, from the canning process probably. I think cooking or bringing to the boil has a chance of killing any C. difficile which might have appeared after the lid went on.

ELW

©2024 Curry Recipes