Author Topic: Patak's tandoori paste  (Read 17292 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Patak's tandoori paste
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2020, 11:03 AM »
My Mistake Livo its 2.5kg 2.2Ltrs, and it has no oil, its the Kashmiri Paste (2.5)kg that has the oil, re pics i sent them on page 1

Thanks for the clarification, Micky.  I still want to source the consumer version (of tandoori marinade), though, to see how obvious the difference is in the final product.

** Phil.

Offline Em Aloo

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2020, 11:57 AM »
Try amazon. 2.2 kg

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2020, 12:31 PM »
Try amazon. 2.2 kg

Thanks, Em Aloo.  As in 6 x 312gm, or do you know of a single 2,2kg jar of the consumer version ?  As it's only for comparison purposes, I am inclined to wait until I go to Plymouth and then try to source a single 312gm jar.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 12:54 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2020, 02:31 PM »
Why on earth anyone would want to replicate that crap is beyond me!
Just my unbiased view anyway hahaha

Regards

Mick

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2020, 05:08 PM »
Ah, so mickyp, what you have there in that photo is another variety of "Tandoori" product from Patak's. There are the 3 products I posted links to from UK, Canada and Australia and the one you have in the UK. All 4 are "Patak's Tandoori" but they use different combinations of other words in the product name. Curry, Marinade, Spice and Paste, etc.
The one Phil has seems to be a 5th version, "Original" and it is thought the UK consumer jar is yet another different version.
Edit: Apparently not.

It appears that they are actually each a slightly different product. The ingredient list on your product contains the same basic elements as the others but in a different order and ratio. It doesn't have oil listed on your photographed label, as you've corrected, so it could be the same as Phil's but yours doesn't say Original. (Edit: yes it does. Sorry, so probably the same as Phil's and only 4 variations.)

In the USA a Patak's product is labelled Tandoori Paste Marinade and Grill Sauce, with Grill being American terminology for an outdoor barbecue.
https://www.vedicpro.com/groceries/condiments-sauces/curry-sauces/pataks-tandoori-paste-marinade-and-grill-sauce-11-oz-312-grams/
I didn't check to see if it's a different ingredient version again.

There is another differently labelled product available online from Amazon Australia.  Patak's Marinade Tandoori. Different ingredient ratios again, no oil and Carmine (Color).  Carmine is E120 (cochineal) and this is the only product I've found to list the use of it. This is definitely a 5th variety of a Patak's branded "Tandoori" paste product.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Pataks-Tandoori-Paste-11ounces-312gram/dp/B000JMDGYG

British Corner Shop sells Tandoori Spice Marinade 312 g that appears to be the same as your UK catering size Tandoori Paste.
https://www.britishcornershop.co.uk/pataks-tandoori-paste

So, seemingly there are several variations (at least 5) available in different parts of the world, with slightly different ingredients and ratios, labelled and manufactured for various markets.  Some with or without oil, different ratios of the main common ingredients, different food colouring agents and certainly different labels.  Either that or the ingredient listings on the different labels are made up (unlikely).  There has to be at least 2 variations, either with or without oil as this is visible.

I'll wager Romain didn't expect to attract this much attention with his OP regarding a simple "Copycat" version of a paste product that is actually not just a single product and may or may not be about to disappear. :Clown:
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 12:05 AM by livo »

Offline romain

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 29, 2020, 02:30 AM »
I most definitely did not think this would result in this level of activity. I did not foresee Patak's to be so fragmented in their products. But most of all I am surprised that anyone actually cares :smile2:

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 29, 2020, 09:49 AM »
British Corner Shop sells Tandoori Spice Marinade 312 g that appears to be the same as your UK catering size Tandoori Paste.
https://www.britishcornershop.co.uk/pataks-tandoori-paste

No, they are two different products.  The one to which you link contains oil (see label), the one that I purchased does not (first-hand evidence).
** Phil.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 29, 2020, 09:57 AM »
I most definitely did not think this would result in this level of activity. I did not foresee Patak's to be so fragmented in their products. But most of all I am surprised that anyone actually cares :smile2:

All good exercise for ze leetle grey cells, mon ami ...
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 12:17 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 29, 2020, 10:51 AM »
And a bit of fun and a way to pass time. Unfortunately of late, I have been waking at 3.00 am. Not much to do outside in the dark.

Who would have thought that a company like Pataks would produce multiple variations of a single "flavour"? I wonder if their other pastes follow the same pattern?  Hmmm?

Nah. Not going there. :sleepy:

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 29, 2020, 11:59 AM »
Who would have thought that a company like Pataks would produce multiple variations of a single "flavour"? I wonder if their other pastes follow the same pattern?  Hmmm?   Nah. Not going there. :sleepy:

It has certainly been reported that if one seeks to replicate BIR flavours, then access to the trade-sized packs is essential (assuming, that is, that both BIR and home-replicant use Patak's products in the first place
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 03:14 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

©2024 Curry Recipes