Author Topic: Tandoori Murgh Masala  (Read 6248 times)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Tandoori Murgh Masala
« on: January 31, 2020, 12:09 PM »
What recipe did you use for the sheek kebabs, UF ?
** Phil.

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Tandoori Murgh Masala
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2020, 06:20 PM »
I use Razors recipe the modified version https://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4393.60

I then omit
red food colouring
green chillies
finely chopped onion
1 tsp hot chilli powder

and use
i use 2 tsp roasted gram flour instead of plain flour

Kashmiri paste is homemade
i use CA mix powder
CA Tandoori Masala Powder

I then mix everything by hand until i have squeezed everything together well then leave in fridge for around 3-5 hours make into kebabs/shami/kofta and cook.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2020, 06:48 PM »
Excellent, very many thanks Unclefrank

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2020, 08:28 PM »
Phil i have tried and tried to make a Tandoori Murgh Masala having ordered this dish from many T/A's and restaurants and even seen it made but i just couldn't get that flavour, texture and creaminess to it, this recipe is a going to be a must on my new menu.

I do squeeze the hell out the kebab mix though and once the mixture has a fine minced feel to it you are ready to go, i do make Razors kebabs to spec and cook in my Tandoori oven, i didn't want the extra spiciness in this dish though.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2020, 09:12 PM »
OK, understood.  In that case, as I plan to eat my kebabs stand-alone (apart from chapati & raita), I will stick to Razor's original.  One of my own never-successfully-recreated favourites is murgh-e-mussalam (a whole spring chicken, stuffed with boiled eggs and minced lamb,cooked and served in a mild-but-not-creamy sauce).  Last eaten by me in Orpington, Kent, some 50 years ago ...).

You will see from the ingredients list alone for Lubna's recipe that re-creating it would be a non-trivial task !

** Phil.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 01:23 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2020, 01:32 PM »
Phil i have tried and tried to make a Tandoori Murgh Masala having ordered this dish from many T/A's and restaurants and even seen it made but i just couldn't get that flavour, texture and creaminess to it, this recipe is a going to be a must on my new menu.

I'm glad you enjoyed the recipe UF and that it could help you crack yourTandoori Murgh Masala  puzzle.  I look forward to trying the recipe when you post it.  I'll stick with my sheek kebab recipe just to add a  little bit of spicy bite to the dish though :Clown:

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2020, 04:12 PM »
Hi CH i will add finely chopped green chillies to the dish itself so i can judge the spiciness i want.
Phil i have made the traditional version of this dish too, but my goal was to recreate my locals dish, one T/A serves the chicken on the bone still in the same sauce, the rest i have ordered use small strips of tandoori chicken.
I will attempt this dish again sometime in the week when i am not at work.

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2020, 03:08 PM »
Hi just an update on the Tandoori Murghi Masala recipe, done a few tries and getting there, tried to post pictures but this site now is awful for posting pictures.
Going to try and half the recipe and add about half of the kebab mashed up and a couple of teaspoons of finely chopped green chillies, boiled egg and lemon rice to top it off.
Will try and figure out AGAIN how to post on this site.

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2020, 08:33 PM »
This was my second attempt minus boiled egg. Now this was getting me somewhere.
Tandoori Murghi Masala, might have many different names and spellings elsewhere
Thanks Phil.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2020, 09:33 PM »
Once this digression has reached a natural conclusion, I propose to split the thread, probably into three parts :  (1) [Original] Chicken patala; (2) Tandoori Murgh Massala; (3) Image hosting/posting.

** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes