Author Topic: Global warming, local freezing  (Read 1085 times)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Global warming, local freezing
« on: February 29, 2020, 03:46 PM »
I believe in global warming.  I believe that the scientists are correct in their gloom-and-doom predictions.  I believe that Greta et al. are right to keep this disaster scenario right at the top of everyone's attention (or "agenda", as is more common these days).  But why, I ask, if global warming is indeed only a couple of decades from the no-return cusp, have we had more sleet and hail in Cornwall (a county normally so mild and benign that palm trees and tree ferns grow, and parts are referred to as "The Cornish Reviera") in 2020 than anyone can remember ?!

** Phil.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 05:37 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline JonG

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Global warming, local freezing
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 05:25 PM »
Because that is weather Phil. Climate is something else.

Weather can come in many forms, depending which way the wind is blowing. Climate is measured on an altogether larger scale and the changes in the climate are providing messed up weather on an increasingly regular basis. Sometimes warmer weather, sometimes colder.

Once this pandemic plays out, it will be interesting to see how much lower greenhouse gas emissions are this year than others, and whether that can have any noticeable effect or if a one year blip makes no odds.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 05:36 PM »
Thank you Jon.  I was aware that weather and climate are two very different things, but your comments were helpful and informative, and much appreciated.

** Phil.

Offline ericbristow

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2020, 04:22 PM »
No such thing as global warming.  :sleep: :angel: :love: :boom:

©2024 Curry Recipes