Author Topic: Tomato sauce hack  (Read 5550 times)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Tomato sauce hack
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2020, 07:38 PM »
I've been using this recipe for Balti Paste for about 10 years now. It has produced some nice curry dishes and salvaged some not so good ones as well.

https://www.kidspot.com.au/kitchen/recipes/balti-paste-scratch/n805h9rv

Do you use olive oil, as stated in the recipe, or do you substitute something more authentically Indian/sub-contintental, Livo ?
** Phil.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2020, 08:14 PM »
No Phil. I use vegetable oil. I have so far only made this using dried whole Kashmiri chilli.

The recipe states that this will keep for a year. I've had no problem with 2 years in the fridge as the last time I made 3 jars. It's nearly all gone.

I've always intended to research and use different spices to produce different flavoured pastes in the same manner, but just never got around to it.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 10:27 PM by livo »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2020, 02:11 AM »
Once again with Patak's there are 2 different products carrying the same principal name. Balti in this instance.  There are 2 distinct Balti products.  Balti Spice Paste and Balti Curry Paste (Tomato and Coriander)  as the OP says this is a Tomato sauce hack, we must assume he is using the latter since the other one has no tomato at all.

The video on youtube I referred to also uses this Tomato Coriander version.

The ingredients in the 2 different products are quite different in this instance so they would not be readily substituted.

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2020, 07:08 AM »
Just to add to that mix Pataks also do an "Indian Balti curry Paste" with German writing on the Jar, as you say Balti Spice and Balti Paste are different, the confusion goes on.

Offline madpower

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2020, 08:48 AM »
Just to confirm it is the balti sauce i use,i have experiment with the paste and i never really had any results worthwhile reporting

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2020, 12:28 PM »
This one ?

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2020, 09:04 PM »
Or one of these?

The bottom one does not contain any tomato.

I believe the one that you've pictured Mickyp is actually what is sold out here as a Simmer Sauce.  Not available out here any more in Balti variety. No other ingredients required. Add meat and jar contents to simmer, which is different to a spice paste.

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2020, 08:58 AM »
Tbh i will have a go at your posted recipe link and keep it in a jar.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2020, 10:18 AM »
I've been using it for nearly 10 years. Onions, g & g, tomato,  a few base spices and some base gravy, pre-cooked lamb. Throw in a few tablespoons of this paste along with whatever else you fancy.  I usually do it in the pressure cooker.

This paste has rescued more than 1 ordinary curry. On the odd occasion when something hadn't worked, a tablespoon of this paste has turned it into a presentable dish.

Offline madpower

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2020, 12:58 PM »
Thats the one mickyp

©2024 Curry Recipes