Author Topic: Chicken korma assessment 2020  (Read 3718 times)

Offline pap rika

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken korma assessment 2020
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2020, 03:55 PM »
Cheers George.
                           I use misty Ricardo's recipe ( https://youtu.be/B5Zn-rJfx1Y ) with the addition of creamed coconut, a family favourite for the kids. Highly recommended.

Regards pap rika

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2020, 04:52 PM »
I use misty Ricardo's recipe

Thanks. I'll give it a try with my newly resurrected interest in chicken korma.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2020, 08:25 PM »
The differences in Garp's listed ingredients, when compared to the one I made, are salt, Sugar, Garlic and Turmeric. The substitution of cream and milk for evaporated milk is also noted.  These may well be the difference between an edible and an enjoyable dish.

Whether or not a Korma is a "real man's" dish or a "real curry" is a ridiculous notion. If you are a chilli head, good on you, but just because a curry doesn't burn your face off doesn't make it any less a curry and the ability to tolerate capsaicin is not determined by gender. Have a good look around at some Korma recipes out there, as I have done. There are some that are not at all "mild" and it isn't unknown to see up to 10 or 12 green chilli added along with pepper.  This may not be the same as munching on Naga, Reaper, Ghost et al, but it will certainly be too spicy for many peoples' tastes.

I have a small container of now discontinued "Clive of India" Korma Curry Powder. I can assure you that while it may not be a "hot" powder, it is most certainly not a mild curry powder either.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2020, 08:42 PM »
Cheers George.
                           I use misty Ricardo's recipe ( https://youtu.be/B5Zn-rJfx1Y ) with the addition of creamed coconut, a family favourite for the kids. Highly recommended.

Regards pap rika

Significantly more spicing than Ghaana's unspiced version. I can't help but think something has been left out of Ghaana's recipe. I have MR's ebook but haven't made this dish. I'll give it a try.

Desi Chicken Korma from the "interesting website links" cook4one site,
Quote:
"The term 'Korma' really describes a cooking technique (long and slow) rather than any specific set of ingredients and it can even be fiery. Typically we have come to expect it to be mild and creamy but this 'Desi' version breaks that tradition by ditching the cream and adding chilli and a special spice mix."

Also worth note is the plain Korma from the same site is again a very un-spiced affair, but with a tsp of sugar.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 10:04 PM by livo »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2020, 01:07 AM »
This one could be what I'm looking for.  Nawabi Chicken Korma by Shah Malek on youtube Shah Cooks looks very promising as the White Korma.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4fr75_AqrA&t=70s

All the BIR Chicken Korma I've been looking at appear to be very much the same, although I do want to give Syed's a go with his base gravy and roasted spice mix.

Another on the list is Romain's. I've already promised myself I'll try that one.

©2024 Curry Recipes