Author Topic: Lamb bhuna  (Read 27604 times)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Lamb bhuna
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2020, 09:08 PM »
Secret Santa - I could have predicted that before you almost wasted your time. This thread is about lamb bhuna. Your result sounds similar to the lacklustre results I attained using chicken with various other sauces in the same range.

I'd agree that lamb would probably flavour the sauce more than chicken, but still, it's never going to be more than an emergency curry. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy it.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2020, 07:52 PM »
OT, but connected.  I have just tried my first jar of Aldi's Specially selected rich and spicy Goan-inspired vindaloo cooking sauce (the same range as George's bhuna sauce) and it was not bad at all, certainly better than the Farmfoods'-sourced Spice Magic Madras curry sauce that I tried recently.  I used 45ml of mixed oils rather than the 15ml specified, bhooned one teaspoon of g/g paste in the oils before adding the dry spices, then added seven pieces of Syed's pre-cooked chicken, and finally added about 2/3 of a jar of the cooking sauce, initially one dessertspoon at a time, building up to adding the remainder.  To finish off I added three chopped green chillies and a similar volume of chopped coriander roots, and dressed with some chopped coriander leaf to serve.  The main modifications were (a) to add a fair amount of boiling water, as otherwise the sauce would have been far too thick for my taste, and (b) to add plenty of salt.  Allowing for those simple modifications, I would say that the sauce is by no means a bad starting point, although from the way that it stuck to the pan at times I suspect there is some artificial thickening agent (e.g., cornflour) included.  Definitely worth a punt, and the cooked sauce is good enough to eat by itself once all the chicken has gone.

** Phil.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2020, 09:12 PM »
Phil - good to hear you discovered another half decent sauce. About a week ago, I looked for the bhuna in my local Aldi, with a view to restock. But there wasn't a single jar left; only about 10 jars of the vindaloo. Maybe the bhuna sauce is picking up supporters.

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2020, 11:03 PM »
I haven

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2020, 11:23 PM »
I've got lazy lately, and haven't made a base in a while. So I tried using a cheapo jar of Lidl Korma sauce, watered down, as a base gravy. As it's lightly spiced I thought it was the best one to try, and have had reasonable results making different curries with it. Not to everybodies taste I know, but worth a go if desperate.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2020, 08:42 PM »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2020, 10:41 PM »
My recollection of the small original cans of Patak's sauces is that they were better than the currently available jars.  It could well be a tainted memory but when I found and used an old tin from my pantry a while back I wasn't too disappointed.  I copped a bit of a roasting on this forum about it though.

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2020, 11:43 PM »
My favorite act of curry heresy involved that can of Pataks Vindaloo sauce and a couple of Birds Eye frozen beef burgers. Keep that quiet.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2020, 11:24 AM »
 :lol:

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2020, 11:27 AM »
My recollection of the small original cans of Patak's sauces is that they were better than the currently available jars.  It could well be a tainted memory but when I found and used an old tin from my pantry a while back I wasn't too disappointed.  I copped a bit of a roasting on this forum about it though.

Did someone cry, 'that's not a BIR!' even though

©2024 Curry Recipes