Author Topic: Lamb bhuna  (Read 27808 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Lamb bhuna
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2020, 02:35 PM »
I very much fear that dropping some pre-cooked chicken into a commercial sauce may well be what a fairly large fraction of BIRs get up to these days ...

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2020, 06:33 PM »
Something like that Onions. I completely understood where he was coming from though

https://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=15091.msg132603#msg132603

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2020, 01:03 PM »
A cool thread that Livo. At least we know your five-year-old sauce didn't do any long-term damage   :cool: how did it taste, in the end?

(Also a shout out to Phil's highlighting the bizarrity of the season, "ooh I could jump off a grape!")

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2020, 07:02 PM »
I'll try to word this in such a way as to keep on topic.  As far as the Aldi line goes, I've only ever tried the Dopiaza and from memory I quite liked it.  I think I may still have at least one Aldi jar in my time capsule cupboard as I recall seeing the spice holding lid. I'm not sure of which variety it is, or they are, so I 'll have to check now.

The time capsule cupboard is a deep corner cupboard where things go to sit through years of waiting before finally being determined as past it. You need a torch to see into the back corner and you have to get on hands and knees to crawl in to reach the longest residents.  It's sort of Hotel California for packaged food that seemed like a good idea at the time of purchase.  This is where I found the relic Pataks Tikka Masala can Onions, which was more like 12 years old, or more, and 5 years past the "use by" date.  It had been on at least one and possibly two home relocations before eventual use last year  It still made a half decent dish for curry in a can. CT didn't give it his nod of approval which was completely understandable.

Unfortunately, I still can't get the Bhuna from Aldi out here.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2020, 03:07 PM »
Unfortunately, I still can't get the Bhuna from Aldi out here.

You're not missing out on anything!

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2020, 03:59 PM »
If it weren't for Australia's hostile food immigration policy, I could post you some Livo ...

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2020, 08:40 PM »
Thanks Phil. Economically unviable as well really.  I don't need it that badly.

Out of interest though, is there an ingredients listing?

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2020, 12:57 PM »
There is an ingredient list, but trying to transcribe it is an absolute nightmare.  I shall do my best to photograph it and attach ...

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2020, 06:00 PM »
I wouldn't suggest trying to create anything like this sauce by looking at the ingredients. To be honest it's not that good. I estimated 70% as good as the buffet tray based lamb bhunas I've rated very highly at a couple of places. I also made a lamb bhuna from raw ingredients using a recipe from a book I have. This was much better than the Aldi sauce, being perhaps between 90% and 110% as good as the buffet versions. I'd need to compare them at the same time to be sure, which is impossible - but really moreish and significantly better than the Aldi sauce. I don't want to knock the Aldi bhuna too much because it's amazing for so little outlay and ease of preparation. I don't know why Aldi only have it from time-to-time rather than as a regular item.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2020, 07:10 PM »
I agree George.  Looking at Phil's pictures makes it obvious that you wouldn't even try, but thanks anyway Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes