Author Topic: Lamb bhuna  (Read 27050 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Lamb bhuna
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2020, 07:12 PM »
I also made a lamb bhuna from raw ingredients using a recipe from a book I have.

Come on George, don't keep us all in suspense
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 08:16 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2020, 08:18 PM »
I'm sorry but I have forgotten the name and can't remember where I put the book! I will try to find it soon, though.  When I first bought the book, I considered it yet another con in terms of revealing, as claimed, curry house type recipes. But, of course, a slow cooked lamb curry prepared for a buffet is not your normal BIR type thing. All I know is that I hit the jackpot, for my taste, by trying the recipe from this book.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2020, 08:53 PM »
The book is: Shish Mahal Cook Book Spiral-bound

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2020, 09:29 PM »
Got it :)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2020, 09:38 AM »
I wouldn't suggest trying to create anything like this sauce by looking at the ingredients.

For me, the sheer number of different spices, and the significant variation in spicing between the bhuna and the vindaloo, suggest that some quite serious research went into developing these recipes.  What do others think ?

** Phil.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2020, 03:05 PM »
For me, the sheer number of different spices, and the significant variation in spicing between the bhuna and the vindaloo, suggest that some quite serious research went into developing these recipes.  What do others think ?

I think effort in does not always lead to results out. I tried several of Aldi's permanent range of curry sauces -  Jalfrezi, Balti, CTM, Korma, etc - I didn't rate any of them very highly.

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2020, 07:23 PM »
In the absence of those specific Aldi jars, I picked this up from my local supermarket.
Made by small family owned company in North Carolina.

Fried a little onion in oil & ghee, added this sauce, a ladle at a time, treating it like a base gravy. It thickened up nicely, caramelized well. 

Result: horrible.  Overly tangy for me and no better than any other rubbish jar sauce.

Binned it rather than waste the 1lb of big fat shrimp I had prepared.  Rustled up a quick Thai red curry instead.  Can
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 11:47 AM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2020, 09:32 AM »
Cooked it. Ate it. Fair to OK, but no big deal.  Too much Black Cardamom. One would have been sufficient. Way too much Garam Masala to finish which was obvious so I only used half. Who would sprinkle 2 TBSP of GM on a finished dish?  I can only hope it is better tomorrow, which it should be.  The dish works in method but lacks in end product for immediate consumption and requires adjustment.  I still have a very strong aftertaste of Black Cardamom 1 hour after eating it.

I quickly looked through a few of my other books and found 2 recipes almost identical. One is a Balti Bhoona Lamb and the other is a Parsi Lamb Curry.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2020, 11:18 AM »
All discussions pertaining to copyright have been moved to "Off-topic replies".

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2020, 11:36 AM »
Cooked it. Ate it. Fair to OK, but no big deal. 

OMG - I should never have posted the book name. It seems to have been wasted on you, when I would have expected you to know how to optimise a recipe for your taste. That's what I almost certainly did, to get spectacular results. For example, I doubt very much if I added any garam masala, let alone the quantity you added. There were other tweaks I made and you could have made your own adjustments, tasting as you cooked, but failed to do so. That's the second recipe you've trashed, somehow. The first one was Ghanna's chicken korma. I found a document recently where a previous member rated various recipes on here with marks out of ten. He seemed to rate that korma above almost any other recipe on this forum, as at a few years ago. I tend to agree but you somehow went wrong and thought it was awful. Go figure!

©2024 Curry Recipes