Author Topic: Lamb bhuna  (Read 27705 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Lamb bhuna
« Reply #70 on: December 16, 2020, 10:05 PM »
On the first occasion I added the sauce in dribs and drabs, but on this occasion I did not bother, and the dish seemed none the worse for it.
** Phil.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 17, 2020, 08:37 AM »
This is probably another case of geographical / cultural difference. When lamb chops are high out here there is no way you'd leave them in the fridge for another week. There is even less chance of making a curry with them.  A bit of a pong and green / blue means not fit for human consumption.  Even the dog thinks twice.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 17, 2020, 09:28 AM »
I think that most of my fellow Britons would agree with your more cautious Antipodean attitude to food safety, Livo.  I tend to be far more lax than most, willingly cutting a layer of mould off the top of chicken liver p
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 02:31 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 17, 2020, 10:49 AM »

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 17, 2020, 10:57 AM »
If I can distract her for sufficiently long from her work on the third edition of Principles of Nutritional Assessment, my friend Ros Gibson may well be able to provide a definitive answer.

Offline mr.mojorisin

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 17, 2020, 01:49 PM »
I make the Aldi Goan Bhuna for my family.
oil into pan, add a chopped onion, cook for 10 mins, add spices from lid, cook for 10 mins.
Then I add the jar of sauce and a tin of chopped tomatoes, fresh coriander, stalks & leaves, cook for about an hour until the tomatoes have melted into the sauce.
then add raw chicken and cook for 10 mins.
add some dried methi leaves, cook for 10 mins. the smell is stunning.
lovely thick bhunaesque sauce. the 2 pacmen in my house love it.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 18, 2020, 11:53 PM »
I tried the vindaloo recently as well. I enjoyed it and preferred it to the bhuna but there's just no comparison to a BIR curry. All jarred curries are much of a muchness to me and these Aldi ones are no exception. I know the standard of BIR has fallen dramatically in the past couple of decades but if you're equating these Aldi curries to BIR then I dread to think what your local BIRs are serving up now.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 19, 2020, 12:22 AM »
I would agree with much of that, Santa
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 10:41 AM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 19, 2020, 08:06 AM »
The thing is Santa, where is the recipe on this site that will produce the quality "BIR" Lamb Bhoona (Bhuna) reminiscent of the tales of yore?  If it is here and it is good then why would anybody bother with a jarred Aldi knockoff?  If there is one on this site, which one is it?  If not, what is your go to recipe?

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 19, 2020, 10:25 AM »
I tried the vindaloo recently as well. I enjoyed it and preferred it to the bhuna but there's just no comparison to a BIR curry. All jarred curries are much of a muchness to me and these Aldi ones are no exception. I know the standard of BIR has fallen dramatically in the past couple of decades but if you're equating these Aldi curries to BIR then I dread to think what your local BIRs are serving up now.

I have never eaten a vindaloo in a BIR or anywhere else, so I can't comment on that. I disagree with you that the Aldi bhuna sauce is no better than any other bottled sauce from a supermarket. The reason I started this thread is that it stands out as being exceptional. As for a comparison with a BIR bhuna, I've never eaten a bhuna at a BIR either (from the menu, fast cooked) so I can't make a comparison to that, either. But I stand by my earlier comment that the Aldi bhuna sauce when cooked with lamb is around 70% as tasty as a slow-cooked BIR buffet bhuna. Lastly, I disagree that the standard of BIR food has fallen. Rather, I think it is better now that it's ever been, at least in my region. So I conclude that you and I simply have very different tastes. Neither of us are right or wrong, it's simply that we presumably perceive taste in a very different way.

©2024 Curry Recipes