Author Topic: Does anyone remember The Wishing Well Restaurant in Falkirk?  (Read 5210 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone remember The Wishing Well Restaurant in Falkirk?
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2020, 01:02 PM »
Interesting they may be Garp, but they

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2020, 01:51 PM »
Interesting they may be Garp, but they

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2020, 01:55 PM »
Early seventies i used to get a meat madras from my local,

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2020, 10:40 PM »
Yesterday I began the testing of Basic Meat Curry. I used two of the recipes linked earlier, being the "Beef Masala Curry" and the "Delicious Indian Lamb Curry".  They are unsurprisingly very similar really so other than the fact that one is Beef (meaty spare ribs) and the other Lamb (Shank Meat), it should be a good test to determine the favoured meat.

Neither recipe has any mention of a "Curry Powder" but both had "Garam Masala".  I split the difference and reduced the amount of GM and added in a small portion of CP.  As I prefer a thicker gravy, I also dredged the meats in seasoned flour before the frying stage.

As both dishes were prepared in a home cooked style (not BIR), I have rested them overnight in the fridge to develop and will be eating them for tonight's dinner.  I did have a little sample of the beef when I was removing the bones and it was pretty delicious. Pressure cooked it was very tender and full of flavour already.  I'll give the lamb dish 15 minutes or so under pressure before serving.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2020, 10:38 PM »
A quick update on how these dishes went. It's really difficult to say I prefer one over the other. Both recipes (slightly modified to include curry powder) produced very enjoyable and moreish dishes eaten with basic rice and a garlic naan.  The interesting thing to note is that both were prepared using cuts of meat that clearly were the last choice of other shoppers.  The traditional curry cooking process, in particular the pressure cooker, certainly does enhance the characteristics of otherwise difficult cuts of meat.

If anything, all I would say is that they needed slightly more "curry" flavour.  What I now intend on doing is reducing the Garam Masala further, trying different blends, increasing the curry powder, and playing around with a few different curry powders and possibly mixed powder or things like Kitchen King Masala.  Maybe the addition of a little homemade Balti Paste.

I do hope the OP gives some feedback on there own efforts.

Offline Geo65

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2022, 06:22 PM »
Hi, Thanks for all the feedback sorry I haven't been active on this forum. Life got in the way as you all can imagine.
I will try out your suggestions.
I hope you are all safe and well.

©2024 Curry Recipes