Author Topic: Does anyone remember The Wishing Well Restaurant in Falkirk?  (Read 5213 times)

Offline Geo65

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
This place was a staple of mine back about 20 or more years ago. I used to get the basic Meat Curry which was amazing. The place has been closed for I don't know how long. I had moved to another part of the country and was very rarely back visiting.
I would love to get the basic curry recipe if anyone has it? I have never been able to get a curry like it anywhere. I have been trying hard to find something close to it but no luck.
I remember it being a reddish colour not spicy but very flavoursome. I could have eaten buckets of it with Nan bread dipped in it.  :tears: 
Can anyone help?

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone remember The Wishing Well Restaurant in Falkirk?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2020, 10:12 PM »
Hi Geo65. It's going to be tricky finding the recipe for that particular basic Meat Curry. You could try something like this and then modify it or even convert to BIR method if you wanted or felt it necessary.

Beef or lamb.
https://www.gastrosenses.com/blog/beef-masala-curry/

Or this is a basic Meat Curry,
https://www.thespruceeats.com/indian-lamb-curry-1957560

Google Masala Gosht, ie meat curry (very loose translation).

This one looks OK as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbNTKireHaw
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 10:50 PM by livo »

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2020, 09:12 AM »
I remember it being a reddish colour not spicy but very flavoursome.

I guess the meat was probably lamb and, if so, it may been similar to the slow-cooked buffet dishes which I described on another recent thread called 'Lamb Bhuna'.

You could do worse than find the Aldi bhuna sauce and use lamb, slow cooked for at least twice as long as they recommend on the jar. Whilst this sauce is not as good as a restaurant dish, it's in the same ball park, so might give you an idea.

Offline Geo65

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2020, 05:06 PM »
Thanks guys for your replies,
I will certainly try some of the suggestions. I did find that lamb is one of the secret ingredients for a good curry. I thought for years when I asked for meat and asked is it beef and they said yes I believed it was. I now know differently  :uh what:
I made a Masala out of the easy curry book on Friday and it was really nice. Plenty spare in the freezer for a quick curry fix.
I also tend to make extra rice so I can mix rice and curry in takeaway cartons for freezing. These are so good for a work lunch  :smile: the looks of jealousy from my co-workers are priceless.  :lol:
My quest continues.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2020, 06:24 PM »
Better than lamb, if you can get it, is goat or mutton, Geo.
** Phil.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2020, 09:08 PM »
Hi and welcome Geo.

I truly believe that it will be impossible to recreate that curry from twenty years ago as it exists only in your memories of it, and other factors in your life at that time which influence those memories.

I'm sure you'll have fun trying though  :like:

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2020, 09:15 PM »
Sounds like an excuse to stay at home and eat lamb curries night after night. Self-isolation, here I come!   :lol:

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2020, 10:14 PM »
Correct Garp. Without knowing the method and spices used by the original cook it may be a long journey.

Geo65, do you think the dish was traditionally cooked or BIR method?

The fact that it was a basic Meat Curry, should provide at least a slight possibility of recreation. I think we've all eaten a particular curry at some point that just hits the spot.  A bit like a staff chicken curry, this dish was probably quite a simple affair. It would most likely have contained only common ingredients and spices and be prepared in such a way as to call it Basic Meat Curry.

My first step would be to try a basic meat curry recipe to determine the type of meat by making the same dish with beef and lamb, (or mutton  / goat if you feel inclined).  Then try a few slightly different modifications and variations to see if your getting close.  A word of advice is to keep good notes of what you do.  There's nothing worse that doing something really good and being unable to recreate it.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2020, 12:08 PM »
Correct Garp. Without knowing the method and spices used by the original cook it may be a long journey.

I think you missed my point completely my friend. Even if Geo is able to produce exactly the same curry, it won't be the same.
There are some interesting articles on nostalgia out there :)

Offline JonG

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2020, 12:52 PM »
Interesting they may be Garp, but they

©2024 Curry Recipes