Author Topic: Dhansak/Pathia  (Read 8667 times)

Offline den

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
Dhansak/Pathia
« on: March 16, 2020, 08:46 PM »
Just found the best Dhansak and Pathia recipe I have ever made on the Glebe kitchen website.
It is by far the nearest to my local curry house that I have ever made.Sorry if this has already been posted on here but I haven't been on here for a long time.
https://glebekitchen.com/indian-restaurant-dhansak-curry/
https://glebekitchen.com/restaurant-style-pathia-curry/
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 10:01 PM by den »

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Dhansak/Pathia
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 09:04 PM »
Well, that is good news, since I too love a good dhansak but have yet to succeed in creating one (although Ganesha in Bodmin does an excellent version to take away).  And many thanks for adding the links, Den.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 09:58 AM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 09:12 PM »
Romain will surely be able to assist here Phil, should you have difficulty.  There appears to be only 2 Dhansak recipes on Glebe Kitchen. Bengali and IR style and only 1 Pathia.

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 10:18 AM »
Pathia is one of my favourite curry dishes, you can play with the balance of sweet and sour, the recipe looks good and its nice to see the Tamerind version rather than lemon for the sweet / sour mix,

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2020, 01:25 AM »
https://glebekitchen.com/indian-restaurant-dhansak-curry/

Looking at the dhansak recipe, I was trying to figure out where the sweetness comes from as we all know BIR dhansak is sweet and sour in flavour and he clearly states just tamarind (or, actually, tamarind sauce). It's only when I read the addendum that I see he means a sweet and sour tamarind based sauce such as Maggi's Tamarina. If people make this with just tamarind sauce they're going to get a sharp surprise.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2020, 01:33 AM »
Well spotted SS and a handy heads-up.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2020, 09:15 AM »
Then it's back to Den, isn't it ?  Den, what tamarind did you use ?
** Phil.

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2020, 11:47 AM »
Looking at the dhansak recipe, I was trying to figure out where the sweetness comes from as we all know BIR dhansak is sweet and sour in flavour and he clearly states just tamarind (or, actually, tamarind sauce). It's only when I read the addendum that I see he means a sweet and sour tamarind based sauce such as Maggi's Tamarina. If people make this with just tamarind sauce they're going to get a sharp surprise.

The main ingredient in Tamarind Sauce is sugar. The tamarind is only 15%. They also add chilli and a few other things to give it more flavour.

When I looked at the Glebe Kitchen dhansak recipe, I was trying to figure out why Kosher Salt is specified. Absurd, if you ask me. I may try the recipe this evening but, to be honest, I don't have high expectations. It's missing ingredients which I firmly believe need to be in a half-decent dhansak. [moderated, unnecessary personal comment concerning the author]
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 08:48 AM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2020, 12:06 PM »
Reference to kosher salt is very common in North America, of which Canada is a part. It is mainly in reference to the crystal size and being non-iodised pure salt. It has little or nothing at all to do with being "kosher" but is used in some koshering processes. Some particular brands may be kosher certified.  Ground Pink Himalayan rock salt or pure sea salt will work equally well.

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2020, 02:31 PM »
Dont think any TA's round here worry if their salts kosher or not.

Regards

Mick

©2024 Curry Recipes