Author Topic: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak  (Read 21004 times)

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak
« on: March 17, 2020, 03:24 PM »
Hope everyone here is doing great and nobody was infected. Some useful information to protect yourself and your loved ones:

Know How it Spreads

• There is currently no vaccine to prevent coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).
  • The best way to prevent illness is to avoid being exposed to this virus.
  • The virus is thought to spread mainly from person-to-person.
    • Between people who are in close contact with one another (within about 6 feet).
    • Through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes.
  • These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs.
Take steps to protect yourself

Clean your hands often
  • Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds especially after you have been in a public place, or after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
  • If soap and water are not readily available, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol. Cover all surfaces of your hands and rub them together until they feel dry.
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.

Avoid close contact
  • Avoid close contact with people who are sick
  • Put distance between yourself and other people if COVID-19 is spreading in your community.
Take steps to protect others

Stay home if you

Offline JonG

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 04:55 PM »
Good that you

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 08:34 PM »
Perhaps more willingness to help one another and not so much selfishness will be a good lesson to stand us in good stead in the future.

Unfortunately, this appears to be the exact opposite to what is actually occuring, out here anyway. Selfishness and panic buying have grown beyond the levels we could ever have imagined only last week.  What began as a bit of a curiosity with toilet paper has now spread to every available commodity. Supermarket shelves, refrigerated and freezer areas have been stripped bare. There is no flour, sugar or pasta. Yesterday meat and potatoes simply disappeared.

Over the weekend people from the major cities have travelled significant distances to strip raid regional stores. Last weekend's trading figures in the supermarket chains were unprecedented. I witnessed first hand a travelled woman on hands and knees, packing every single can of generic sardines in spring water back into boxes, down to the last can, to load into her trolley.  It appears that what started with bog roll has simply moved from one product to the next.

When the chips are down it appears to be every man for himself.  :patient:

With a shortage of food, at least the demand for toilet rolls should decrease.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 09:49 PM »
I am told that much the same situation obtains in Bodmin, tho' I confess I haven't bothered to investigate for myself.  It might be interesting to take a trip to Bookers', tho', to see whether local traders are panicking as much as local shoppers ...

** Phil.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2020, 11:30 PM »
The thing is that the supply of goods is apparently not threatened at all. There is plenty of stock and produce but the supply chain simply can't keep up with the flow created by panic buying.  I guess the doomsday preppers are all feeling a little smug at the moment.

The white-goods / appliance stores must be selling a lot of freezers as well, otherwise where is all the perishables going?

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2020, 08:00 AM »
One tip I got was to wipe down your groceries with soapy water when you get them home after a shopping trip. 

I do that, except I use Dettol disinfectant. I also wash my hands after discarding the envelopes of letters and the wrapping of packages delivered. For all I know, the postman or a courier might have contracted the virus.

Unlike in Yousef's advice, I think it's wise to cover your mouth and nose with something like a scarf, if not a surgical mask, as a preventive measure, to guard against the occasional situation where a disgusting individual coughs or sneezes in close proximity without covering up.

I do hope we don't follow other countries in banning nearly all trips away from home. Where's the risk if one goes out for a walk, cycle ride or drive in the car and avoid other people?

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2020, 09:22 AM »
The white-goods / appliance stores must be selling a lot of freezers as well [...]

They are.  Our local one sold 22 freezers yesterday alone.
** Phil.

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2020, 09:23 AM »
I am told that much the same situation obtains in Bodmin, tho' I confess I haven't bothered to investigate for myself.  It might be interesting to take a trip to Bookers', tho', to see whether local traders are panicking as much as local shoppers ...

** Phil.

Have no fear about that Phil, they are, but i think the Pataks stuff is safe, think ahead and get your restaurant charcoal tho' summer is around the corner virus.

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2020, 10:00 AM »
Stay safe everyone.  Apart from all the bad which is happening, I hope some good changes in society emerge as a result of this.  Perhaps more willingness to help one another and not so much selfishness will be a good lesson to stand us in good stead in the future.

Thanks for the tip JonG, well we are truly living in unique times, unless we stay united and learn to help one another, it would be hard to pass this.

Unfortunately, this appears to be the exact opposite to what is actually occuring, out here anyway. Selfishness and panic buying have grown beyond the levels we could ever have imagined only last week.  What began as a bit of a curiosity with toilet paper has now spread to every available commodity. Supermarket shelves, refrigerated and freezer areas have been stripped bare. There is no flour, sugar or pasta. Yesterday meat and potatoes simply disappeared.

I am told that much the same situation obtains in Bodmin, tho' I confess I haven't bothered to investigate for myself.  It might be interesting to take a trip to Bookers', tho', to see whether local traders are panicking as much as local shoppers

I've seen this in my country as well, a lot of products simply vanished from the city once they announced a total travel ban.

I do hope we don't follow other countries in banning nearly all trips away from home. Where's the risk if one goes out for a walk, cycle ride or drive in the car and avoid other people?

Here everything is closed now, only essentials were allowed, like grocery stores, pharmacies, hospitals... But fortunately I still can go for a walk around the block.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2020, 10:32 AM »
Cambridge research team working towards a vaccine against COVID-19

And key bullet points for self-preservation from the WHO (full material here) :

Basic protective measures against the new coronavirus

• Wash your hands frequently
  • Maintain social distancing
  • Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth