Author Topic: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak  (Read 21224 times)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2020, 05:21 AM »
These 2 quotes from the same news article found here;
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/tummy-ache-could-be-the-first-sign-of-a-coronavirus-infection/news-story/d3358520bfd4ed7efe12aa76f5e8b5b6

"Sir Patrick Vallance, the UK's chief scientific adviser, said: "It looks quite likely that there is some degree of asymptomatic transmission.
"There

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2020, 03:46 PM »
Did you join the cynicism queue twice, Livo ?!
Still little evidence of panic buying in Asda, but store policy now limits shoppers to at most three of any one item.
** Phil.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 05:16 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2020, 08:55 PM »
Warnings of short supply in some essentials, pasta and rice for example, and price hikes due to increased demand are with us. Fresh produce quality, supply and pricing are still subject to basic market principles, if not more so now than ever. This is what's happening in the food supply arrangements here right now.  Yesterday we had enough for triple our country's population. Today there are warnings of short supply.

These occurrences are evident here and now Phil, so it isn't cynicism. It's the current reality.  If it hasn't hit your area yet, it probably will.  Over last weekend, in one report, 3 bus loads of raiders with trailers in tow, left Sydney and stripped bare regional supermarkets to the west for over 200 km. I witnessed similar events here locally, 100 km north of the city by multiple individuals but without buses and trailers. I imagine it went south as well.  When the city ran out, they simply traveled and took everything from stores that were already under strain.  Visualize a locust plague on a human scale.

It is likely that much of this plunder is destined for the black market, both local and export. Our authorities are investigating organised criminal syndicates operating in this manner.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 10:23 PM by livo »

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2020, 10:48 PM »
If this Corona Hype has taught me anything, it's that I live in a country containing a large amount of pricks.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2020, 11:06 PM »
If this Corona Hype has taught me anything, it's that I live in a country containing a large amount of pricks.

Yes, those Scottish thistles can be perilously spiky.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2020, 11:50 PM »

Reassure yourself that it isn't isolated to your country. 

I doubt the relatives of all the dead, those presently lucky enough to be in an ICU somewhere, the health workers, the owners of crumbling businesses and those losing their jobs, et al, think it's Corona Hype

A lot of the pointed people you refer to are walking around loudly proclaiming to not be one of those.   You know the ones? They're in the shops walking around shaking their heads and saying to strangers, "Do you believe this? I'm only here to get what I need."  There is now a stigma attached to anybody seen near a supermarket, even if they are just doing there usual weekly shop, (or trying to).  I guess you can tell them apart by the size of the haul in the trolley and how much toilet paper they have.   :confusing3:

Offline Bob-A-Job

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2020, 03:38 AM »
This thread may be digressing a bit from fact to experience but I went to my local supermarket Friday to offer my services to stack shelves (no cash handling or such), including stock rotation if required, for FREE, for a few hours every day.

The offer was appreciated but turned down as they wouldn't be covered for insurance for harm to myself or others.  Fair enough.

The shelves were fairly well restocked but I think people have moved from anticipating food shortages to alcohol shortages, prior to the announcement of closure of pubs, clubs and restaurants as they were fairly well emptied and since I suppose are deemed none essential, will not be restocked anytime soon.

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2020, 08:39 AM »

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2020, 08:54 AM »
Well, you could say that such a person (a "Covidiot") must have a Cov-IQ of 19 ...

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2020, 08:57 AM »
Social distancing at Bondi Beach yesterday. Well it was 34 'C.

©2024 Curry Recipes