Author Topic: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak  (Read 21226 times)

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2020, 10:13 AM »
Social distancing at Bondi Beach yesterday. Well it was 34 'C.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2020, 10:42 AM »
That gesture (and indeed, the whole need to touch our face, to scratch at an itch or for whatever reason) is so deeply ingrained that (IMHO) only those who practice mindfulness 100% of the time will be able to avoid so doing ...

** Phil.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 02:30 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2020, 10:50 AM »
Does anyone share my concerns that Boris (and HMG, for that matter) are acting unconstitutionally ?  To the best of my belief, there has been no declaration of a state of emergency, with the accompanying concomitant powers that such a declaration would entail, so is Boris in any position to tell (as he stressed yesterday, comparing and contrasting it very pointedly with "ask") British restaurants that they must close ? In the absence of any legislation, I would have thought that the most he could do is to ask them to close, explaining the (very good) reasons why they should close in the nation's interest.  I also think that establishments such as B&Bs, hotels, etc. (OK, I have a vested interest here) should be able to continue to serve meals to their guests even if they are required to close their restaurants to the public ...
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 05:03 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2020, 10:47 PM »
An unbiased assessment of the situation ...
And some suggestions from someone who clearly knows the solutions.

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2020, 07:13 AM »
Have a listen to this guys and girls from a front line Doctor who is clearly wearing the T shirt https://youtu.be/tQD4B_hmdvo

Offline Donald Brasco

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2020, 07:54 AM »
Does anyone share my concerns that Boris (and HMG, for that matter) are acting unconstitutionally ? 

No Phil, I

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2020, 08:20 AM »
After the Bondi Beach fiasco, Australia is now destined to comprehensive lock down.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2020, 08:22 AM »
Sorry, Donald, I respectfully disagree.  War crimes are not acceptable "just" because a country is at war.  In an emergency, existing legislation allows the Government to declare a state of emergency, which then allows the Government to take the necessary and sufficient action to contain that emergency without requiring full legislative process to be followed.  This Government (which only a few days ago was telling us that all we needed to was to develop "herd immunity") now seeks to enforce a complete about-face without either declaring a state of emergency or passing the necessary legislation.  It is therefore very important that this be challenged in the courts, otherwise a very dangerous precedent will be set which would enable this and future governments to bypass the legislative process completely whenever it so chose.

I do not for one second suggest that (e.g.,) restaurants, bars, pubs, etc., should not close
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 09:49 AM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2020, 08:41 AM »
Which court does the virus have to answer to Phil?

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2020, 08:59 AM »
...the issue of whether the government has the necessary paperwork fully and correctly completed before taking measures in a desperate attempt to save lives and mitigate some of the disastrous effects unfolding, does not rank at all highly.  Nor should it for you. Get some perspective!

I agree. Phil must be able to seek official clarification as to whether hotel restaurants are able to continue serving residents. To challenge the legality of the Prime Minister's instructions would not be helpful at all - even worse than Gina Miller's attempts to thwart Brexit. I doubt if a Police Officer would be very tolerant if one comes knocking on the hotel's door.

©2024 Curry Recipes