Author Topic: Karai Chicken Lahori  (Read 7229 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Karai Chicken Lahori
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2020, 01:11 PM »
Well done that man !

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2020, 09:58 AM »
MA i cooked this for the sixth time last night, the other half loves it, last night i replaced the water in the recipe with base gravy which gave a nice variant.

She wants me to do the original again so she can compare (again) I will post her thoughts lol
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 10:43 AM by mickyp »

Offline kph

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2020, 07:32 PM »
What changes if cooking for 4 with the ingredients
cheers

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2020, 12:20 AM »
Well kph, Welcome to the forum.  You are opening a can of worms but this is what I would suggest:

Correction: It is not a BIR Curry so you could go ahead and increase the ingredients linearly by X2 with a few possible exceptions depending on how hot and how wet you prefer your curries.  There is enough in the original recipe for 2 or 3 as it is with 2 whole chicken breasts.  I wouldn't use 4 tsp of chilli or 6 tomatoes. I'd go with 3 tsp chilli and probably only increase to 4 tomatoes.  It depends on whether you are using a hot or a mild chilli powder as well. I don't think I'd be going with 10 green chilli's either but that would be up to you.

Another consideration is the other 3 people and how they like their curry.  If I was cooking this for my family I wouldn't increase the chillis at all.  I would add extra chicken etc but leave the chillis as they are.

As it is only for 4 people I would simply multiply the ingredients for 1 serve by double, cook 2 double serves and then combine them.  You may need to reduce the amount of liquid (ie: base gravy) unless you like a wet curry. There is no real problem in linear scaling up to a double quantity and cooking a double quantity is easy enough to get a good result provided your pan is big enough. 

Trying to cook a 4 serve quantity in a single pot will give you a different result.  You could do it but it would involve reducing the amount of liquid and possibly adjusting the spice levels a bit (particularly Chilli).  To do this I would probably modify to a more traditional Indian approach (or hybrid at least).

If you were to go to higher quantity like 8 or 10 then you start to get into the bulk cooking linear V non-linear scaling argument.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 12:33 AM by livo »

Offline kph

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2020, 12:44 PM »
Many thanks will try this tonight
cheers
K

©2024 Curry Recipes