Author Topic: Criticising recipes  (Read 5834 times)

Offline noble ox

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Criticising recipes
« on: March 26, 2020, 10:57 AM »
Why is it that when a new member arrives and brings recipes for all to share they are criticised often by long standing members.
I believe its because they have not yet been able to satisfy themselves with the bir taste because of poor cooking technique, then they blame the recipes.
A bir chef who showed me a learning method which works to get bir flavours told me that " A good bir cook can get good results from a poor recipe but a bad cook will not get a good result from a good recipe.
Whats occuring with some here is frustration so only response is.
It must be the recipe

If I post the method I was taught on this forum will it be subjected to the same condemnation ? Yes I believe so

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Criticising recipes
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 11:19 AM »
Would you share it by PM? Promise I won't divulge or criticise. I've kept a secret naan recipe secret.  Oh darn it, I shouldn't have said that.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 11:23 AM »
Why is it that when a new member arrives and brings recipes for all to share they are criticised often by long standing members.
[snip]
If I post the method I was taught on this forum will it be subjected to the same condemnation ?

I am not convinced that it will.  Many of those who were most openly and regularly disparaging of anything that they did not regard as being in accord with their own fixed beliefs are no longer contributing or commenting here, and I genuinely believe that the majority of current members are open to new ideas and approaches (there are, of course, a few exceptions ...).  If you feel that you have something new to contribute, then please please do so
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 11:36 AM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 12:33 PM »
I believe its because they have not yet been able to satisfy themselves with the bir taste because of poor cooking technique, then they blame the recipes.
A bir chef who showed me a learning method which works to get bir flavours told me that " A good bir cook can get good results from a poor recipe but a bad cook will not get a good result from a good recipe.
Whats occuring with some here is frustration so only response is.
It must be the recipe

If I post the method I was taught on this forum will it be subjected to the same condemnation ? Yes I believe so

100% correct

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 04:03 PM »
Well, If everyone shared his/her recipes, it would be beneficial for all members/readers, and just let every other forum, share your opinion (respectfully), and maybe add from the collective experiences to reach better results while learning more and more on the topic. In other words a civilized discussion on this topic, would be helpful for all members and for the forum.

At the end, you can cook only the recipes you like, nobody would make you do otherwise.

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2020, 04:05 PM »
Yes indeed, the basis of this whole forum is sharing recipes tips and help for free, not criticising abusing trolling and making members leave or feel they can

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2020, 04:12 PM »
Yes indeed, the basis of this whole forum is sharing recipes tips and help for free, not criticising abusing trolling and making members leave or feel they can

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2020, 04:18 PM »

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2020, 05:04 PM »
So the forum is moving towards a ban on saying anything the slightest bit negative or critical about recipes which they've tried and weren't very keen on?

Here's two recent examples (compare and contrast):

1. Livo recently tried a recipe which I posted in 2005 from an outline kindly drafted by Ghanna for chicken korma. Livo was very critical and said he planned to throw it in the bin. I was disappointed but there you go. Nobody sent me messages of support, like they worried I might be devastated.

2.  A few days later I tried Romain's recipe for chicken dhansak. I said I thought it was poor compared to the dishes served by a half-decent BIR. Should I have lied and said it was delicious? Romain went ballistic and started laying into me. He said he'd received numerous messages of support, presumably suggesting he ignore me because my opinion counts for nothing.

I don't know who all these long standing members are who criticise any recipe published here by a newbie. I suggest it's nonsense. It can't include me because Romain's dhansak was the first recipe I've tried and commented on from this forum in several years.

Conclusion - everybody needs to feel like a winner. No negative comments whatsoever are allowed from now on. If so, this forum has lost the plot.

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2020, 05:30 PM »
George personally i dont take any notice of critics as its all generally very subjective, everyone's tastes are different, if i read a constructive article on something from someone i respect i give it credence, anything else just makes me yawn, just sayin.

©2024 Curry Recipes