Author Topic: Naan bread  (Read 6710 times)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Naan bread
« on: March 26, 2020, 09:45 PM »

Livo - I would also love to hear your naan secrets.

I was not happy with what I felt was the severe metallic / chemical after-taste associated with what I considered excessive baking powder in the popular favourite naan recipe and technique.   A now non-contributing member shared a few pointers with me in private including a private video. As he hasn't published this information, I didn't feel I should and still don't.

What I will say publicly is this; the recipe I was shown was described as UK genuine, Deluxe Naan.  Not a standard naan.  It is full dairy (not water), contains egg, uses self raising flour plus fresh yeast and no baking powder.  I have not used fresh yeast but dried instant and much preferred it to the popular favourite.  No after-taste. 

One day I will source fresh yeast to try it I hope. The full recipe is nothing you wouldn't expect. There is more than one dairy product but nothing you haven't see before. Anybody understanding Bakers percentages and dough consistency will be able to deduce a similar naan from this information.  It isn't really a secret recipe but it isn't mine and I was given it in private.  I respect this and out of this respect, I won't write it verbatim on the public forum.

Of course cooking in a tandoor makes a considerable difference as well, albeit that the tawa technique is convenient.

The same member also told me what any BIR chef would list as the ingredients in a normal BIR naan, if asked.  Surprisingly simple.

I also highly rate the School of Artisan Food naan.  It is different to the UK deluxe naan but just as good in my opinion.

Offline romain

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Naan bread
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 11:07 PM »

I also highly rate the School of Artisan Food naan.  It is different to the UK deluxe naan but just as good in my opinion.

Thanks Livo,

You've given me a fine project while in what is effectively lockdown...

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2020, 11:10 AM »

Thanks Livo,

You've given me a fine project while in what is effectively lockdown...

Thats the second recommendation this week for that. I'll have to have a look. Hopefully naans on the go this week

Offline romain

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2020, 01:40 PM »
Sigh, I have the time on my hands to work hard on naan. I have the desire to work hard on naan. But I can't get flour. Shelves are bare. Lots of everything in general but the hoarders are onto flour and dried beans for some reason...

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2020, 02:27 AM »
Thats the second recommendation this week for that. I'll have to have a look. Hopefully naans on the go this week

Make that the 3rd recommendation, Gav. It's my goto naan nowadays - my thanks to livo for finding it.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 01:20 AM »
For convenience here is the link again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSxFpyS-kDQ

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 08:59 AM »
For convenience here is the link again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSxFpyS-kDQ

Cheers Livo, was watching it yesterday. I'll have to make some butter milk as were trying to limit shopping at the minute.  :confusing2: :confusing2:

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 09:09 AM »
At a pinch a bit of yogurt and either milk or water will do the same job.  Really stretching it would be some diluted white vinegar added to your milk.  It doesn't matter if it curdles as it's going into a dough anyway.

I have a supply of Easiyo in both vanilla (son and daughter) and plain which makes yogurt from water. Powdered milk, water and a culture will get you going.  You can start a culture from existing yogurt, vinegar, lemon or chilli stalks. Lots of info out there.  People were doing this before supermarkets and Covid-19.

Yogurt culture and growing yeast are really quite easy.  While they may not be commercial grade, it isn't too far different to the sub-continent methods.  Back to your roots people.

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2020, 12:01 AM »
Cheers Livo, was watching it yesterday. I'll have to make some butter milk as were trying to limit shopping at the minute.  :confusing2: :confusing2:

I don't use buttermilk, Gav - too difficult to get hold of in these parts. But I do use fermented milk which is widely available in the supermarkets  -works a treat!  :like:

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2020, 02:29 AM »
SOAF Naan. 1 of 5.  Soft, light, fluffy and delicious. 

This photo was before butter ghee and chopped coriander.  For this batch I used the starter which had fermented for only about 4 - 5 hours at 40' C and the dough then sat and cold fermented for 24 hours.  The flavour profile that develops with aged dough is so much better than mix and cook.

I don't always add the black seed and cumin seed but for this batch I did.

©2024 Curry Recipes