Author Topic: Hirshon BIR Curry Base  (Read 3503 times)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Hirshon BIR Curry Base
« on: April 03, 2020, 11:48 PM »
Mickyp, if you haven't tried this yet, you really should.

On the subject i found this today, anyone seen it?

https://www.thefooddictator.com/the-hirshon-british-indian-restaurant-curry-base/

I recommend anybody with a bit of time give this a try.  You won't be disappointed.  Ignore the advice that it doesn't scale down well. This is clearly wrong as it does.

I made a reduced quantity of this curry base yesterday and then used it to make 3 standard chicken dishes plus a Bombay potatoes. The end result was very pleasing. The flavour and aroma of this base gravy are very nice and we'll developed with the extended frying stage and the inclusion of fenugreek.  This has just become a standard curry gravy for me.  It's a bit of work but we'll worth it.

I used a reduced quantity of the Akhni stock (3 cups water and half spices) and I feel that the amount of base gravy in full as per the recipe would require additional water. The recipe procedure is incomplete and says nothing about using any liquid other than only half of the Akhni stock.  Even at the stage it is added this would be insufficient for a 10 onion quantity.  Extra liquid is required and this isn't mentioned.  The recipe says to make 4 cups of stock but only uses 2. I made 3 cups, used all of it and still added more liquid to get a workable base gravy consistency.  It would be very thick and could possibly catch on the pan if not watched closely without additional water.

For the dishes I made last night the chicken and potatoes were simply pre-cooked in seperate dilutions of the gravy, the potatoes with a bit of salt added as well.  The used chicken pre-cook dilution I added back to the base gravy pot instead of diluting with plain water. It is quite thick at the end of the recipe cooking. The whole lot is all tied together and the dishes were made using this thinned down base gravy thickened by reduction.  Based on how much I have left, the 2 onion quantity of this gravy would produce about 10 8 individual serves of curry.

I just reviewed the remaining base gravy and the 2 onion version will make easily 6 - 8 individual serve curries depending upon how much sauce you like in your dish.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 12:48 AM by livo »

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Hirshon BIR Curry Base
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2020, 08:55 AM »
Thanks Livo, next batch i will give it a go...

Offline Daznz

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 08:30 AM »
Recipe looks great I will give this ago

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2020, 09:49 AM »