Author Topic: Base gravy suggestions?  (Read 5418 times)

Offline SomeCurryFan

• Chef
    • View Profile
Base gravy suggestions?
« on: April 18, 2020, 07:46 AM »
Hey, I'm going to make a batch of base gravy today, can anybody share or link me their favorite recipes?

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Base gravy suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2020, 08:59 AM »
Hey, I'm going to make a batch of base gravy today, can anybody share or link me their favorite recipes?
I normally use only two, which are as different as chalk and cheese :

But there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to think that any of the other bases listed are unlikely to yield equally good results, although some will undoubtedly be more flexible than others (the fewer ingredients in the base, the more control the chef will have over the final flavour).  Note that in some cases, a dish and a base are intended to be paired
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 09:43 AM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 09:04 AM »
Welcome to the board SCF, the answer is very subjective and one for which you would get many answers, it all simmers down to individual taste and willingness to try things both simple and complex.
there are many on this site to choose from which no matter how many answers you get you will have to do, pick one and enjoy the journey.

Offline SomeCurryFan

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2020, 09:15 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions Phil, I do want to ask you one thing, what do you mean with the pairing of Taz's base? Is it made specifically for the dopiaza?

Micky, so you really can't go wrong with any recipe, it's more what about personal preferences and what works out. That makes sense, but I also asked this question with the intention of getting any personal observations/experiences with these recipes.

If it helps specifying what I want to make with the base, I'm really trying to make a good Tikka Masala, but I also plan on making bhuna's and balti's, so mild and medium curries.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2020, 09:31 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions Phil, I do want to ask you one thing, what do you mean with the pairing of Taz's base? Is it made specifically for the dopiaza?

Not to the best of my recollection.  I seem to recall that Mick Crawford (posting as "Achmal"), who originally introduced the base to the forum, provided only a dopiaza recipe to go with it, but what makes the Taz base different to most is the amount of oil that it contains and the emphasis that Achmal/Mick/Taz place on the importance of reduction when using the base [1].  You can't just pour it all in and hope things will have to come out right [2]
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 04:01 PM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2020, 09:42 AM »
SFC the last batch I made was 30 ltrs of Adey Payne

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2020, 11:56 AM »
2 onions and some tomato puree or passata, plus whatever other vegies you have in the fridge in small quantity. A bit of oil, garlic and ginger and low level spice. Base gravy. Chicken stock if you want. 2 litres will make 8 to 10 single serve curries.  Chuck it in a pot and boil it up or fry it up first. Blend it up and make a curry.  There are so many variants that you just need to pick one or make your own.

Don't be disturbed. You can make good curry no problem.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2020, 12:15 PM »
If the aim is simplicity (as per Livo's immediately preceding post), then I would say that you can also omit the tomato pur

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2020, 05:38 PM »
In days of old I tried a few bases, BE, Ashoka, KD but I've used the Taz base exclusively, pretty much since it was posted on here. I've been very happy with the results and see no need to change to another base. I've also amended many of the standard curry house dishes for use with the Taz base (and method). You should be able to find them easily using the search function.

Offline romain

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2020, 10:03 PM »
I'm firmly in the keep base simple camp. Too assertive a base and I find all the curries tasting more of the base and less of the individual curry. If it tastes like much more than a vaguely curry flavoured onion soup I tend to stay away...

©2024 Curry Recipes