Author Topic: Base gravy suggestions?  (Read 5400 times)

Offline SomeCurryFan

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Base gravy suggestions?
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2020, 10:14 AM »
So I have made my own batch using a pretty customized recipe, how should the consistency be of the finished gravy, should it stick a little to the ladle after scooping? Plus does anybody know good CTM recipes to try?

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2020, 10:21 AM »
Should be very thin in consistency, as in the preparation of the final dish you will reduce it down considerably.  Can't help with CTM, I am afraid, but certain that many others can and will.

** Phil.

Offline SomeCurryFan

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2020, 10:25 AM »
So it should be like yellow water?

Offline mickyp

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2020, 10:26 AM »
Cracking on there SCF, you want to aim for the consistency of milk. as for CTM you won't go far wrong with the recipe's on here, go for the ones that appeal to your taste for sweetness.

Offline SomeCurryFan

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2020, 10:33 AM »
So it's good that it sticks a little to the ladle?

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2020, 11:51 AM »
It's probably better to err on the side of "too thin" rather than "too thick", since (assuming you have made more than enough for a single dish) you can always add more and reduce again.  "Like yellow water" is probably fine, as as Micky's "like milk".  I would be worried if it really "stuck" to the ladle, though

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2020, 11:53 AM »
If you go to the tandoori section of the forum there are several recipes for CTM. The one by CA got quite a bit of praise as I recall. I have made CTM using the Taz Base but I'm not sure if I ever posted it. I would start by choosing just one recipe and giving it a try and you will see whether or not it is to your liking.

Online ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2020, 12:50 PM »
Hey, I'm going to make a batch of base gravy today, can anybody share or link me their favorite recipes?

I have a batch of jb

Online bhamcurry

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2020, 07:09 PM »
SCF, I like Kris Dhillon's gravy base. I sometimes throw some carrots or whatever leftover veggies I have into the base as well. For me it comes out looking more or less like a watered down carrot and coriander soup, kind of a dull orange brown colour, and quite liquid. If you're slowly adding the gravy into a ripping hot pan it will reduce down quickly and caramelise the sugars nicely  :smile:

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2020, 07:18 PM »
I think that for anyone wanting to convince themselves that it is possible to re-create BIR food at home, KD's base and recipes are an excellent starting point.  OK, they don't use sophisticated techniques such as singe-frying and so on, but the results are sufficiently close to the real thing to give anyone confidence in their own abilities.  With confidence under their belts, they can then go on to try more advanced techniques and recipes.

** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes